Calculating Forces and Acceleration in a Castle Bridge Mishap

• Thread starter pegasus24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bridge sir
In summary, Sir Lost-a-Lot dons his armor and sets out from the castle on his trusty steed in his quest to improve communication between damsels and dragons. Unfortunately his squire lowered the draw bridge too far and finally stopped it 20.0° below the horizontal. Lost-a-Lot and his horse stop when their combined center of mass is 1.00 m from the end of the bridge. The uniform bridge is 8.00 m long and has a mass of 1700 kg. The lift cable is attached to the bridge 5.00 m from the hinge at the castle end, and to a point on the castle wall 12.0 m above the bridge. Lost-a-Lot's mass combined with
pegasus24

Homework Statement

Sir Lost-a-Lot dons his armor and sets out from the castle on his trusty steed in his quest to improve communication between damsels and dragons. Unfortunately his squire lowered the draw bridge too far and finally stopped it 20.0° below the horizontal. Lost-a-Lot and his horse stop when their combined center of mass is 1.00 m from the end of the bridge. The uniform bridge is 8.00 m long and has a mass of 1700 kg. The lift cable is attached to the bridge 5.00 m from the hinge at the castle end, and to a point on the castle wall 12.0 m above the bridge. Lost-a-Lot's mass combined with his armor and steed is 1000 kg. Suddenly, the lift cable breaks! The hinge between the castle wall and the bridge is frictionless, and the bridge swings freely until it is vertical.
(a) Find the angular acceleration of the bridge once it starts to move.(rad/s2)
(b) Find the angular speed of the bridge when it strikes the vertical castle wall below the hinge.(rad/s)
(c) Find the force exerted by the hinge on the bridge immediately after the cable breaks.
(d) Find the force exerted by the hinge on the bridge immediately before it strikes the castle wall.

Homework Equations

a) [tex]\tau=I\alpha[/tex]
b) [tex]\alpha=\frac{d\omega}{dt}[/tex]
c) T = 0
d) [tex]\tau[/tex] = r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

I think these are the equations i should use in solving this problem. But I have no clue where to start.
I think [tex]\tau[/tex] can be found using (rFsin[tex]\theta[/tex]) but what about inertia? Could you please giv me a hint to get started on this.. Thank you.

Attachments

• p12-21.gif
    p12-21.gif
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,028
Physics news on Phys.org
hi pegasus24! :smile:

you'll also need to use F = ma

find the moment of inertia by adding the moment of inertia of the bridge to the moment of inertia of Sir Lost-a-Lot :wink:

Moment of Inertia of bridge:
Ib = mr^2
but how to calculate moment of inertia for lost-a-lot?

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)

the moment of inertia of the bridge certainly isn't mr2 :redface:

you need to learn most of the moments of inertia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi tiny-tim.We don't know the structure of bridge-whether it is like a thin rod or it is cylindrical?
How come we find it's moment of inertia then?

always read the question carefully :wink:
pegasus24 said:
… The uniform bridge …

tiny-tim said:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)

the moment of inertia of the bridge certainly isn't mr2 :redface:

you need to learn most of the moments of inertia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia"

Yes I went through this link. So the
Ib = (m/3)L2
Is this right? Then what about inertia for the person and his horse? How to calculate that? The only way I know is I = (1000g)(L-1)2.

Last edited by a moderator:
pegasus24 said:
Ib = (m/3)L2

yup! :smile:

and in questions like this, Sir and his horse can be treated as a point particle, so the moment of inertia is just mr2 :wink:

When i calculate torque, should I take into account the tension in the cable?

what cable? :confused:

it's broken! :biggrin:

[tex]\tau = (1700kg)(9.8m/s2)(5m) + (1000kg)(9.8m/s2)(7m) = 151900kgm2/s2[/tex]
[tex]I = Ib + Ig = \frac{1}{3}(1700kg)(8m)2 + (1000kg)(7)2 = 85266.67kgm2[/tex]
[tex]\alpha = \frac{\tau}{I} = 1.78rad/s2[/tex]

But this [tex]\alpha[/tex] is wrong.. where did i go wrong?

(you can't use SUP and SUB in tex, you must use ^ and _ :wink:)
pegasus24 said:
\tau = (1700kg)(9.8m/s2)(5m) + (1000kg)(9.8m/s2)(7m) = 151900kgm2/s2
I = Ib + Ig = \frac{1}{3}(1700kg)(8m)2 + (1000kg)(7)2 = 85266.67kgm2
\alpha = \frac{\tau}{I} = 1.78rad/s2

erm … shouldn't that (5m) be (4m) ? :redface:

I tried with 4m but it is still wrong..

oh! you didn't use the 20° :smile:

I have already tried that but the answer is too small.. It should be 1. something but when i use this 20 degree angle i get 0.07 something... which is totally wrong..

1. What is Sir Lost-a-Lot castle bridge?

Sir Lost-a-Lot castle bridge is a medieval bridge located in the fictional kingdom of Camelot. It was built by Sir Lost-a-Lot, a renowned knight and engineer, to connect the castle to the nearby village.

2. How old is the bridge?

The exact age of the bridge is unknown, but it is believed to have been built around the 12th century during the reign of King Arthur.

3. What materials were used to construct the bridge?

The bridge is made of stone and mortar, with wooden beams supporting the arches. It was built using traditional medieval construction techniques.

4. Is the bridge still functional?

Yes, the bridge is still functional and serves as the main entrance to the castle. It has undergone several renovations and repairs over the years to maintain its structural integrity.

5. Are there any legends or stories associated with the bridge?

According to local folklore, Sir Lost-a-Lot castle bridge is cursed and anyone who crosses it on a full moon will be transported to a parallel dimension. However, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim.