Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Site problems yesterday?

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    I don't know if it was the first time I had run into this.

Did anyone else have trouble getting onto PF at some point yesterday? It was a few minutes before 10 PM PST.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't have time to get onto PF yesterday, so don't know how well it was functioning, but there have been a few times over the past week that it's gotten slow or wouldn't load. Never lasted long. The forum always acts up when Greg's away...it just knows!

4. Nov 19, 2007 #3
    I can't put my finger on the word. It wasn't that I couldn't get on from slow server or traffic, it was a *something* problem. I hate it when this happens.

5. Nov 19, 2007 #4

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

I also noticed that the servers appeared to be strained or something, but like you, nothing I could quite put my finger on beyond a certain sluggishness.

6. Nov 19, 2007 #5
    No no. It wasn't the servers. I remembered when I tried to open the page it TOLD me what kind of problem it was. >.<

7. Nov 20, 2007 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Was it something like a database something or other error? If so, that is a server issue, but means Greg or Chroot should look into it as soon as they return, because when we start getting those, it's usually something that worsens until they work their "magic" and reset whatever is causing the trouble (and yes, that does seem to happen along with general "sluggishness"). If you get the error again, copy it down for us (assuming you can get back on later) so they know what to look for.

8. Nov 20, 2007 #7
    Database! that was it!

9. Nov 20, 2007 #8

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Or Skynet had just become self-aware.

10. Nov 20, 2007 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It seems the site is sluggish at times today also.

11. Nov 20, 2007 #10

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

I was just going to say that myself: it seems to be getting worse.

12. Nov 20, 2007 #11

Evo

Of course, Greg is gone.

13. Nov 20, 2007 #12

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

The problems might be related to the fact that traffic seems unusually heavy (currently climbing toward 1500, mostly guests). Anyone have any idea why this might be?

14. Nov 20, 2007 #13

Evo

Probably another spider attack. Search engines send their spiders and bots out to collect data.

15. Nov 20, 2007 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or else more people are just off from school and work and can surf more. I noticed everything online tends to get slow during the brief school holidays.

16. Nov 20, 2007 #15

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

It's worse than ever. This is approaching the worst I've seen. No doubt you have headers to guide the behavior of well-behaved spiders but yes, I know that some spiders are notoriously badly behaved (and apparently are run by phishing gangs, but that's another issue).

17. Nov 21, 2007 #16

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I've noticed that when the site is operating normally, I get logged off (inactivity?) on a regular basis. Not so much of that this morning.

18. Nov 21, 2007 #17
    Well, the thanksgiving break no-homework period should cool things down a bit.

19. Nov 21, 2007 #18

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

At least in the HH forums. After the turkey everyone will have no homework and all the time in the world to overload GD. Watch out Evo!:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?