Did PF experience site issues yesterday?

• Thread starter Math Jeans
  • Start date
In summary, there were some issues with accessing the PF website yesterday, with some users experiencing slow loading or error messages. These issues may have been caused by heavy traffic or server problems. Some users also noticed that the site was sluggish today as well. It was suggested that this could be due to a spike in traffic, possibly from holiday breaks or search engine spiders. It was also mentioned that the site usually logs users off after a period of inactivity, but this was not happening as frequently. It was predicted that the site may experience even more traffic during the Thanksgiving holiday, potentially leading to further issues.
Math Jeans
I don't know if it was the first time I had run into this.

Did anyone else have trouble getting onto PF at some point yesterday? It was a few minutes before 10 PM PST.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't have time to get onto PF yesterday, so don't know how well it was functioning, but there have been a few times over the past week that it's gotten slow or wouldn't load. Never lasted long. The forum always acts up when Greg's away...it just knows!

I can't put my finger on the word. It wasn't that I couldn't get on from slow server or traffic, it was a *something* problem. I hate it when this happens.

I also noticed that the servers appeared to be strained or something, but like you, nothing I could quite put my finger on beyond a certain sluggishness.

No no. It wasn't the servers. I remembered when I tried to open the page it TOLD me what kind of problem it was. >.<

Math Jeans said:
No no. It wasn't the servers. I remembered when I tried to open the page it TOLD me what kind of problem it was. >.<

Was it something like a database something or other error? If so, that is a server issue, but means Greg or Chroot should look into it as soon as they return, because when we start getting those, it's usually something that worsens until they work their "magic" and reset whatever is causing the trouble (and yes, that does seem to happen along with general "sluggishness"). If you get the error again, copy it down for us (assuming you can get back on later) so they know what to look for.

Database! that was it!

Or Skynet had just become self-aware.

It seems the site is sluggish at times today also.

I was just going to say that myself: it seems to be getting worse.

Chris Hillman said:
I was just going to say that myself: it seems to be getting worse.
Of course, Greg is gone.

The problems might be related to the fact that traffic seems unusually heavy (currently climbing toward 1500, mostly guests). Anyone have any idea why this might be?

Probably another spider attack. Search engines send their spiders and bots out to collect data.

Or else more people are just off from school and work and can surf more. I noticed everything online tends to get slow during the brief school holidays.

It's worse than ever. This is approaching the worst I've seen. No doubt you have headers to guide the behavior of well-behaved spiders but yes, I know that some spiders are notoriously badly behaved (and apparently are run by phishing gangs, but that's another issue).

I've noticed that when the site is operating normally, I get logged off (inactivity?) on a regular basis. Not so much of that this morning.

Well, the thanksgiving break no-homework period should cool things down a bit.

Math Jeans said:
Well, the thanksgiving break no-homework period should cool things down a bit.

At least in the HH forums. After the turkey everyone will have no homework and all the time in the world to overload GD. Watch out Evo!:biggrin:

1. What caused the site problems yesterday?

The site problems yesterday were caused by a server malfunction. Our IT team worked quickly to resolve the issue and the site is now fully functional again.

2. How long did the site experience problems for?

The site experienced problems for approximately 4 hours yesterday. Our team worked diligently to fix the issue and minimize any downtime for our users.

3. Will there be any compensation for the site being down?

We understand the inconvenience caused by the site problems yesterday and apologize for any disruptions to your work. At this time, we are not offering any compensation, but please reach out to our customer service team if you have any further concerns.

4. Is there anything I can do to prevent site problems in the future?

Unfortunately, technical issues can occur unexpectedly. However, we are continuously working to improve our site's performance and minimize any potential problems.

5. Are there any known issues with the site currently?

As of now, there are no known issues with the site. Our team is constantly monitoring and maintaining the site to ensure a smooth user experience. If you do encounter any problems, please don't hesitate to contact us.