Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Six group point kinetic equation

1. May 18, 2007 #1

I would be very thankful with some help with the numerical solution of the six group point kinetic equations, with the constant reactivity (step change).

I would like to do this with the Mathematica.

Best regards, Dusan
  2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2007 #2
    Does anyone have any experience with numerical solution of the 6 group point kinetic equation, with the step reactivity change?

4. May 21, 2007 #3

Staff: Mentor

Dose the solution involve one-group diffusion with 6 delayed groups, so that one is solving the one group neutron diffusion equation and 6 equations for each group of precursors? Presumably the reactivity is between 0 and beta?

I've solved the inhour equation and one group w/ one delyed, but that was 25 years ago, so I may be slow on this.

What equations are you using?
  5. May 21, 2007 #4

I am trying to solve the following 7 equations:
    dn(t)/dt=ρ-β/l n(t)+∑6i=1 λiCi+Q0/l

dCi(t)/dt= βi* n(t)/l- λiCi.

Where Q0 is constant extra source with neutrons per second.

Lets say that I have the subcritical reactor with the reactivity ρ=-0.0526, which corresponds to k=0,95 (multiplication factor).

Now I increase the reactivity to ρ=-0.04167 (step reactivity change), which corresponds to k=0,96.

What is the n(t) in 6 group approximation.

I already made the analytical solution with one group approximation and now I am trying to find the numerical six group solution. Most probably I will do this with Runge-Kutta method. I just wanted to ask if there is someone with any experiences?

6. May 21, 2007 #5

Staff: Mentor

Runge-Kutta is the standard approach to solving these couple diff EQs.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?