Size of links and loads in the hydraulic system

• I
  • Thread starter roman9912
  • Start date
roman9912
I am currently in the process of creating my own design in which every millimeter counts. I have the following question: does the cross-section area of the highlighted link make a difference, and does decreasing the area makes force exerted on the walls greater?

My guess is that cross-section area makes no difference and I know nothing of the second one.

College physics textbook seem to have no answer for either question. Any help from someone who know it?

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Nidum
Science Advisor
Gold Member
upload_2017-9-20_10-8-4.png

That 'link' is actually a tube which passes the working fluid from one cylinder to the other ?

Cross sectional area could affect the rate at which fluid is transferred and so control the rate at which the pistons can move . A quite simple calculation is possible but you will have to tell us more about the speeds that you want your pistons to be able to move at .

The forces acting on the tube and any resulting stresses depend on how the actual mechanical parts are arranged . Again quite simple calculations are possible but you will have to tell us more about the details of the assembly . Most significant thing we need to know is whether the cylinders are fixed in place or not .

roman9912
View attachment 211404

That 'link' is actually a tube which passes the working fluid from one cylinder to the other ?

Cross sectional area could affect the rate at which fluid is transferred and so control the rate at which the pistons can move . A quite simple calculation is possible but you will have to tell us more about the speeds that you want your pistons to be able to move at .

The forces acting on the tube and any resulting stresses depend on how the actual mechanical parts are arranged . Again quite simple calculations are possible but you will have to tell us more about the details of the assembly . Most significant thing we need to know is whether the cylinders are fixed in place or not .

Yes the link is precisely that. What im trying to do is to transfer motion from one axis to the spring on the other (due to size constraints). I can give it a try and do 3D model + fluid simulation, but I would want to know for sure of the design constraints. All the links and fluid paths will be inside a molded part.

Thanks for your input

Nidum
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A small number of back of envelope calculations will tell you all you need to know . Doing full CFD analysis is a bit excessive for this problem !