Size of links and loads in the hydraulic system

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a fluid transfer system using a tube to connect two cylinders. The question is whether the cross-sectional area of the tube affects the rate of fluid transfer and the forces exerted on the walls. The experts suggest that while cross-sectional area may affect the rate of fluid transfer, simple calculations can be done to determine the design constraints. They also mention the importance of considering the mechanical assembly and whether the cylinders are fixed in place. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of doing simple calculations rather than a full fluid simulation for this problem.
roman9912
I am currently in the process of creating my own design in which every millimeter counts. I have the following question: does the cross-section area of the highlighted link make a difference, and does decreasing the area makes force exerted on the walls greater?

My guess is that cross-section area makes no difference and I know nothing of the second one.

College physics textbook seem to have no answer for either question. Any help from someone who know it?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    10.9 KB · Views: 501
Physics news on Phys.org
upload_2017-9-20_10-8-4.png

That 'link' is actually a tube which passes the working fluid from one cylinder to the other ?

Cross sectional area could affect the rate at which fluid is transferred and so control the rate at which the pistons can move . A quite simple calculation is possible but you will have to tell us more about the speeds that you want your pistons to be able to move at .

The forces acting on the tube and any resulting stresses depend on how the actual mechanical parts are arranged . Again quite simple calculations are possible but you will have to tell us more about the details of the assembly . Most significant thing we need to know is whether the cylinders are fixed in place or not .

Nidum said:
View attachment 211404

That 'link' is actually a tube which passes the working fluid from one cylinder to the other ?

Cross sectional area could affect the rate at which fluid is transferred and so control the rate at which the pistons can move . A quite simple calculation is possible but you will have to tell us more about the speeds that you want your pistons to be able to move at .

The forces acting on the tube and any resulting stresses depend on how the actual mechanical parts are arranged . Again quite simple calculations are possible but you will have to tell us more about the details of the assembly . Most significant thing we need to know is whether the cylinders are fixed in place or not .
Yes the link is precisely that. What I am trying to do is to transfer motion from one axis to the spring on the other (due to size constraints). I can give it a try and do 3D model + fluid simulation, but I would want to know for sure of the design constraints. All the links and fluid paths will be inside a molded part.

Thanks for your input

A small number of back of envelope calculations will tell you all you need to know . Doing full CFD analysis is a bit excessive for this problem !

What is the relationship between link size and load in a hydraulic system?

The size of the links in a hydraulic system is directly related to the load they can support. The larger the links, the more weight they can withstand without breaking. This is because larger links have a greater surface area, allowing for a higher distribution of force.

How does the size of the hydraulic pump affect the size of the links?

The size of the hydraulic pump does not directly affect the size of the links in a hydraulic system. However, a larger pump can generate more pressure, allowing for larger and stronger links to be used in the system to support heavier loads.

What is the significance of the size of the links in a hydraulic system?

The size of the links in a hydraulic system is crucial in determining the overall strength and capacity of the system. Properly sized links are essential for supporting the desired load and preventing failure or damage to the system.

How can the size of the links be calculated for a specific load in a hydraulic system?

The size of the links can be calculated using the formula: Link size = (Load x Safety Factor) / (Tensile Strength x Number of Links). The safety factor accounts for any unexpected or additional loads, while the tensile strength of the material and the number of links determine the overall strength of the system.

What are some factors that can affect the size of the links in a hydraulic system?

Aside from the desired load, other factors that can affect the size of the links include the type and viscosity of the hydraulic fluid, the operating temperature, and the working environment. These factors should be considered when selecting and sizing links for a hydraulic system.