1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketch the form of the Fourier transform - is this right?

1. Oct 18, 2012 #1
    "Sketch the form of the Fourier transform" - is this right?

Question ~ sketch the "form of the Fourier transform" for the function:

f(k) = sin^2(ka/2) / (ka/2)^2

So I'm thinking it will look like a cos [or sin] graph (shifted so that its 'above' *f(k)=0*) and that there will be some sort of *central* highest maximum and then the hight of the peaks tends to 0.

*** My question is does this graph have one highest maximum when k=0 or does it have two highest maximums either side of the origin spaced evenly from the origin [k=0]?

At the moment I'm thinking there will be two highest maximums which occur at -π/2 and π/2. Also, that when k = 0, f(k)=0.

Later on however in the question it implies that there is one central maximum:

"...find the values of k when f(k) first becomes zero either side of the central maximum at k=0..."

Any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2012 #2
    Re: "Sketch the form of the Fourier transform" - is this right?

There is a concept called the sinc function.

[itex]sin(k/2)/(k/2) = sinc(k/2)[/itex]

The function has one maximum at k=0, and is symmetric across k = 0. You function is the square version of this function, when the variable is taken to be ka/2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook