Graphing Quadratic Functions and Finding Intersection Points - Easy Tutorial

In summary: The result will be (x2, f(x2)).In summary, the two points of intersection are (3.3645, 10+3x-x1), and (-1.1145, 10+3x-x2). They are separated by 5.
CanaBra
Sketch the function:?

Hello everyone, I was asked the following question:
On the same axes, sketch the functions:
f(x) = 10+3x-x^2
g(x) = 3x^2-6x-5

Calculate the coordinates of the two points where the two lines cross. How far apart are the two points:

I don't even know how to start?
Am I supposed to use the quadratic formula and first sketch f(x) and then use the quadratic formula again to sketch g(x) on the same graph??

Please help...

Physics news on Phys.org

You need to find where f(x) = g(x); those will be parts of the points where the two functions intersect. Set the functions equal to each other and solve for x. You should get two x values, one for each point. Plug them into either f(x) or g(x) and then you will get the y coordinates for the two points.

Lastly, do you know the distance formula for two points?

What do you mean by " the quadratic formula and first sketch f(x) and then use the quadratic formula again to sketch g(x) on the same graph"? How does the quadratic formula help sketch a graph, except by finding the x-intrecepts. I recommend completing the square. After you [itex]f(x)= a(x- b)^2+ c[/itex] you can easily find the x- intercepts ([itex](x- b)^2= -c/a[/itex] so [itex]x= b\pm \sqrt{-c/a}[/itex], the y-intercept ([itex]ab^2+ c[/itex]) and, perhaps most importantly, the vertex [itex](b, c)[/itex]. With those points, it should be easy to sketch the graph.

Thank you for replying.
I followed your advised and here is what I got:
f(x)=g(x)
10+3x-x^2=3x^2-6x-5
10+3x-x^2-3x^2=3x^2-3x^2-6x-5
10+3x-4x^2= -6x-5
10+3x-4x^2+6x=-6x+6x-5
-4x^2+3x+6x+10=-5
-4x^2+9x+10=-5
-4x^2+9x+10+5=-5+5
-4x^2+9x+15 =0

Applied the quadratic formula and got:
x =-1.1145
x=3.3645

Now,you told me to plug the two x values above to either f(x) or g(x), I don't know if you want me to do this:
f(x) =10+3x-x^2
f(x) =10+3(-1.1145)-(-1.1145)^2

or this:
f(x) =10+3x-x^2
f(x) =10+3(-1.1145)-(3.3645)^2

Help?

For the equation -4x2 + 9x + 15 = 0
use the quadratic formula to to get the exact answers for x with square roots and no rounding. Let's call them x1 and x2.

You chose f(x), so you want to first evaluate f(x1). That means plugging in only x1 in the function, as you did in the first one where you weren't sure, and not two different values as in the second one. The coordinates of that point of intersection will be (x1, f(x1)). Do the same thing with x2.

1. What is a quadratic function?

A quadratic function is a polynomial function of the form f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is a type of function that can be graphed as a parabola.

2. How do you graph a quadratic function?

To graph a quadratic function, plot several points on the coordinate plane by choosing values for x and calculating the corresponding y values using the function. Then, connect the points with a smooth curve to create a parabola.

3. What are the key features of a quadratic function graph?

The key features of a quadratic function graph are the vertex, which is the highest or lowest point on the parabola, the axis of symmetry, which is a vertical line that divides the parabola into two symmetrical halves, and the x-intercepts, which are the points where the parabola intersects with the x-axis.

4. How do you find the intersection points of two quadratic functions?

To find the intersection points of two quadratic functions, set the two functions equal to each other and solve for the values of x. These values represent the x-coordinate of the intersection points. Then, substitute these values into either of the original functions to find the y-coordinate of the intersection points.

5. What is the significance of finding intersection points of quadratic functions?

Finding the intersection points of quadratic functions allows us to determine the points where the two functions are equal, which can provide insights into real-world problems and help solve equations involving multiple variables. It can also be used to find the solutions to systems of equations involving quadratic functions.