1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ski Jump (Conservation of Energy)

1. Oct 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A skier (m=55.00 kg) starts sliding down from the top of a ski jump with negligible friction and takes off horizontally. (A)If h = 6.80 m and D = 10.20 m, find H.(B)Find her total kinetic energy as she reaches the ground.

2. Relevant equations
    KEi+PEi=KEf+PEf (law of conservation of energy)
    KE=1/2mv^2
    PE=mgh

3. The attempt at a solution
    I somehow have to find the total Height and the final Velocity. I can't seem to come up with an equation that doesn't have one of those in it.....Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2012 #2
    You can find the velocity at the bottom of the ramp with the information given. You can treat it like a projectile problem, where the skier leaves the ramp at 90 degrees, with an initial height h, and lands a distance D from the ramp. Once you find this velocity, you can use the energy equations that you posted above to find H.

4. Oct 10, 2012 #3
    omg...I don't see how I didn't see it before....Thank you very much!

5. Oct 10, 2012 #4
    Wait....Don't you need to know how fast it's going off the ramp?

6. Oct 10, 2012 #5
    First, you find the time it takes for the skier to fall height h (this is independent of the speed of the skier, since the ramp is horizontal). Then, you can find how fast the skier must have been going to travel a distance D in this time.

7. Oct 10, 2012 #6
    So I got V=D/sqrt(2*h/g)
    Then plug that into: m*g*H=1/2*m*(D/sqrt(2*h/g))^2 Since H=x+h we get
    m*g*(x+h)=1/2*m*(D/sqrt(2*h/g))^2 then solve for x giving us:
    x=((.25*d^2)/h)-h Does that seem correct?

I got -2.975???

Never mind I forgot to add in the mgh to the end of the equation silly me thanks again for all your help:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook