Ski Jump (Conservation of Energy)

In summary, a skier with mass 55.00 kg slides down from the top of a ski jump with negligible friction and takes off horizontally. Using the law of conservation of energy and the equations for kinetic and potential energy, it is possible to find the total height and final velocity of the skier. By treating the skier as a projectile and solving for the velocity at the bottom of the ramp, it is possible to use the energy equations to find the final height. The final equation is x=((.25*d^2)/h)-h, where h is the initial height and d is the distance traveled.
Albeaver89

Homework Statement

A skier (m=55.00 kg) starts sliding down from the top of a ski jump with negligible friction and takes off horizontally. (A)If h = 6.80 m and D = 10.20 m, find H.(B)Find her total kinetic energy as she reaches the ground.

Homework Equations

KEi+PEi=KEf+PEf (law of conservation of energy)
KE=1/2mv^2
PE=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I somehow have to find the total Height and the final Velocity. I can't seem to come up with an equation that doesn't have one of those in it...Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• prob21a.gif
    prob21a.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,334
Physics news on Phys.org
You can find the velocity at the bottom of the ramp with the information given. You can treat it like a projectile problem, where the skier leaves the ramp at 90 degrees, with an initial height h, and lands a distance D from the ramp. Once you find this velocity, you can use the energy equations that you posted above to find H.

omg...I don't see how I didn't see it before...Thank you very much!

Wait...Don't you need to know how fast it's going off the ramp?

Albeaver89 said:
Wait...Don't you need to know how fast it's going off the ramp?

First, you find the time it takes for the skier to fall height h (this is independent of the speed of the skier, since the ramp is horizontal). Then, you can find how fast the skier must have been going to travel a distance D in this time.

Likes PaperAirplane
So I got V=D/sqrt(2*h/g)
Then plug that into: m*g*H=1/2*m*(D/sqrt(2*h/g))^2 Since H=x+h we get
m*g*(x+h)=1/2*m*(D/sqrt(2*h/g))^2 then solve for x giving us:
x=((.25*d^2)/h)-h Does that seem correct?

I got -2.975?

Never mind I forgot to add in the mgh to the end of the equation silly me thanks again for all your help:)

What is the concept of Conservation of Energy in Ski Jumping?

The concept of Conservation of Energy states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. In ski jumping, this means that the potential energy gained from being at the top of the slope is converted into kinetic energy as the skier moves down the slope and takes off from the jump.

How does the height of the ski jump affect the Conservation of Energy?

The height of the ski jump affects the Conservation of Energy because the higher the jump, the greater the potential energy the skier gains. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy as the skier moves down the slope, allowing them to achieve a longer and higher jump.

What role does friction play in the Conservation of Energy during a ski jump?

Friction plays a significant role in the Conservation of Energy during a ski jump. Friction between the skis and the snow generates heat, which causes some of the potential energy to be lost. This means that the skier will not have as much kinetic energy at the take-off point, resulting in a shorter and lower jump.

How does the weight of the skier impact the Conservation of Energy in a ski jump?

The weight of the skier affects the Conservation of Energy because it determines the amount of potential energy the skier has at the top of the slope. A heavier skier will have more potential energy than a lighter skier, allowing them to achieve a longer and higher jump.

What other factors can influence the Conservation of Energy in a ski jump?

Other factors that can influence the Conservation of Energy in a ski jump include the angle of the slope, wind resistance, and the shape and design of the skis. These factors can affect the amount of potential energy gained by the skier and the amount of kinetic energy they have at the take-off point, ultimately impacting the distance and height of the jump.