How Much Horsepower is Needed for Skiers on a Rope Tow?

• Thread starter harrinj4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skiing
In summary, to calculate the horsepower engine required for 30 skiers on a tow rope moving at a constant speed to the top of a 24 degree hill, the formula includes both the force of kinetic friction and the force needed to raise the skiers up the incline. The formula is P = FΔx / t + Δ(mgh)/Δt, where F is the friction force calculated using μ (coefficient of kinetic friction), m (mass of skier), g (acceleration due to gravity), and θ (angle of incline), Δx is the distance along the incline, t is the time it takes to reach the top, and Δ(mgh)/Δt is the force required to
harrinj4

Homework Statement

Physics and Skiers and Rope and Hills?
A 80 kg skier grips a moving rope that is powered by an engine and is pulled at constant speed to the top of a 24 degrees hill. The skier is pulled a distance x= 200m along the incline and it takes 2.2 min to reach the top of the hill.

If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the snow and skis is Uk = 0.12, what horsepower engine is required if 30 such skiers (max) are on the rope at one time?

Homework Equations

F=umgcos(theta)
P=F(change in x)/t
HP=746?

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the tow rope moves at constant speed, the tension in the rope must equal the force of kinetic friction, which is:

f = μmgcosθ
= 0.12(80kg)(9.8m/s²)cos24°
= 86N (rounded)

Power is work over time and work is force times distance, so:

P = FΔx / t
= 86N(200m) / 132s
= 130 W

In horsepower:

130W = 130W(1.00HP / 746W)
= 0.175HP

For 30 skiers then:

30 x 0.175HP = 5.3HP (rounded)

I got the wrong answer when I put this in. Everything seems in order. Did I miss something? I've double checked my work so its not a calculator error. Any help=thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This would be the case if the skiers were on a horizontal surface. You did not include the power required to raise up to a certain height that you can calculate from the slope and the distance along the incline, i.e. Δ(mgh)/Δt.

kuruman said:
This would be the case if the skiers were on a horizontal surface. You did not include the power required to raise up to a certain height that you can calculate from the slope and the distance along the incline, i.e. Δ(mgh)/Δt.

So insert that when trying to figure out power?

P = FΔx / t + Δ(mgh)/Δt??
or P=Δ(mgh)/Δt??

Insert. The engine works against both friction and gravity.

kuruman said:
Insert. The engine works against both friction and gravity.

So...=( 86N(200m) / 132s) + (80*9.8*200cos(24)/132)??

Draw yourself a right triangle of hypotenuse 200 m making an angle of 28o with respect to the horizontal. What is the vertical side?

kuruman said:
Draw yourself a right triangle of hypotenuse 200 m making an angle of 28o with respect to the horizontal. What is the vertical side?

It's sin24*200=h

Boom got it

Last edited:

Related to How Much Horsepower is Needed for Skiers on a Rope Tow?

What is "Skiing away, away the day"?

"Skiing away, away the day" is a phrase commonly used to describe the act of skiing, or engaging in the winter sport of gliding down snowy slopes on skis, as a way to escape from daily life and enjoy the outdoors.

How did skiing originate?

Skiing has been around for thousands of years, with its origins traced back to ancient civilizations in Norway, Sweden, and Russia. It was primarily used as a mode of transportation and later evolved into a recreational activity.

What are the health benefits of skiing?

Skiing is a physically demanding activity that can provide many health benefits, such as improving cardiovascular and muscular strength, increasing balance and coordination, and reducing stress levels.

What equipment is needed for skiing?

The main equipment needed for skiing is skis, poles, and boots. Other essential equipment includes a ski helmet, goggles, and appropriate clothing for cold weather. Optional equipment includes ski bindings, ski boots, and ski lift passes.

What are some safety precautions to take while skiing?

To ensure a safe skiing experience, it is important to always follow the rules and regulations of the ski resort, wear appropriate safety gear, and stay within your skill level. It is also crucial to be aware of your surroundings and weather conditions, and to stay hydrated and take breaks as needed.