Slapping Waterfalls: Can Pressure Move Fountains?

• Thread starter kingofingo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, it is possible to effect the fount by slapping it with your hand, but this would be very weak. If you freeze the stream, on the other hand, it won't flow very fast.
kingofingo
I Came up with that yesterday when i had a shower. So here it is.
Imagine a fount(i am that the word for the found that throw water under us)
in a shower that has a hole on the one side and hang on an ax that is set on the wall(inside the shower). The fount can turn easily right and left. So we make the fount to throw water under pressure. Now, we slap the waterfall with our hand. Is it possible debends the pressure of the waterfall to MOVE the fount slapping the water??Sorry for my terrible english.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand the question correctly, the answer is no. The water doesn't provide a rigid transfer of force back to the spout.

If I understand the question correctly, the answer is no. The water isn't solid enough to transfer force up or down to the fount.

If the water stream hasn't broken apart then it can support waves which may impart momentum to the fountain.

But wouldn't that be dependent upon it being a very high-density stream? Most fountains deliver a low-velocity, low-density stream. Smacking it with something will just disrupt the upward flow, not transfer momentum to the nozzle.

The condition that the stream hasn't already broken apart is fairly stringent and any wave propagation up the stream (essentially supported by surface tension) will be minimal since even moderate amplitude will itself cause the stream to break up!

Thanks a lot for your respond.
Tide i don't really get your answer:-)
Is impossible to effect the fount?

I am saying it may be possible but any effect would be extremely weak.

If you freeze the stream, on the other hand...:biggrin:

... in which case it won't flow very fast! :)

Dang! You've got an answer for everything.:-p

Glaciers flow. Kind of...

Danger said:
Dang! You've got an answer for everything.:-p

But you make it so EASY! :wink:

Looks like the beginning of a beautiful war.:-p
I'll catch you in GD when I'm not so tired.:biggrin:

Related to Slapping Waterfalls: Can Pressure Move Fountains?

What are slapping waterfalls?

Slapping waterfalls are a phenomenon in which waterfalls appear to slap against a surface due to the pressure of the water hitting the surface. This creates a unique and mesmerizing sight.

How do slapping waterfalls form?

Slapping waterfalls form when the water flow from a waterfall is strong enough to create a pressure wave that hits a surface, such as a rock or cliff. This results in the water appearing to slap against the surface, creating a visual effect.

Can pressure move fountains?

Yes, pressure can move fountains. Fountains work by using pumps to push water through pipes and out through nozzles. The pressure created by the pumps is what moves the water and creates the fountain effect.

What factors affect the intensity of slapping waterfalls?

The intensity of slapping waterfalls can be affected by several factors, including the volume of water, the height and angle of the waterfall, and the angle and size of the surface the water is hitting. Wind can also play a role in the intensity of the slapping effect.

Are slapping waterfalls dangerous?

Slapping waterfalls can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. The force of the water hitting the surface can be strong enough to cause injury, and the surface itself may be slippery. It is important to observe slapping waterfalls from a safe distance and to follow any posted warning signs or guidelines.