How Does Mass and Inertia Affect Acceleration on an Inclined Plane?

In summary, a 5.00 kg block slides down an inclined surface with an angle of 36.9 degrees and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.23. A string attached to the block is wrapped around a 28.0 kg flywheel with a moment of inertia of 0.500 kg*m^2 and a perpendicular distance of 0.200 m from the fixed axis. Using the equations T*r=I*(\alpha) and \alpha=a/r, the equation mg(sin(theta)-cos(theta)*\muk)-m*a = (I*a)/r^2 was obtained. After correcting a rounding error, the correct acceleration of 1.165 m/s^2 was found, along with a
ASUengineer16

Homework Statement

A block with mass m = 5.00 kg slides down a surface inclined 36.9 degrees to the horizontal (the figure View Figure ). The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.23. A string attached to the block is wrapped around a flywheel on a fixed axis at O. The flywheel has mass 28.0 kg and moment of inertia 0.500 kg*m^2 with respect to the axis of rotation. The string pulls without slipping at a perpendicular distance of 0.200 m from that axis.

Homework Equations

I tied solving for the sum of torques, which is T*r=I*([tex]\alpha[/tex]) where T is the tension and r is the radius of the pulley, .200 m. I think solved for T for the box. Once solving for T I got, T=mg(sin(theta)-cos(theta)*[tex]\mu[/tex]k)-m*a. Then using the rule, [tex]\alpha[/tex]=a/r, I then substituted a/r for all the [tex]\alpha[/tex]'s and then plugged my T for the torque equation into the T from the force equation.

In the end I came up with the equation:
mg(sin(theta)-cos(theta)*[tex]\mu[/tex]k)-m*a = (I*a)/r^2

This yeilded me the wrong answer and I have no idea where I am wrong. I have a feeling it has to do with the mass of the pulley since it was given, but I am not sure how to relate it to the problem since they give you the moment of inertia for the pulley ?

Any help would be great thanks !

Attachments

• YF-10-55.jpg
    YF-10-55.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 638
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ASUengineer16,

What wrong answer did you get?

After solving for a in the final equation I got 1.1 m/s^2

actually seems like I made a rounding error, the correct answer was 1.165 m/s^2 but it wouldn't take 1.1 when I entered it,

and for part b, 14.6 N came out to be correct with 1.2 m/s^2 as the acceleration.

I was about to write back that I kept getting 1.16619 for the acceleration.

Glad it worked out.

1. What is the equation for the acceleration of a sliding block on an incline?

The equation for the acceleration of a sliding block on an incline is a = g * sin(theta), where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and theta is the angle of the incline.

2. How does the mass of the block affect its acceleration on an incline?

The mass of the block does not affect its acceleration on an incline. The acceleration is solely determined by the angle of the incline and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and the acceleration of the block?

The relationship between the angle of the incline and the acceleration of the block is directly proportional. This means that as the angle of the incline increases, the acceleration of the block also increases.

4. How does friction affect the motion of a sliding block on an incline?

Friction can decrease the acceleration of a sliding block on an incline by opposing the motion of the block. This means that a block will have a lower acceleration on an incline with higher friction compared to an incline with lower friction.

5. What is the maximum acceleration a block can have on an incline?

The maximum acceleration a block can have on an incline is equal to the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This occurs when the incline is at a 90 degree angle, creating a vertical drop and allowing the block to freely fall under the influence of gravity.