1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sliding Block on incline

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block with mass m = 5.00 kg slides down a surface inclined 36.9 degrees to the horizontal (the figure View Figure ). The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.23. A string attached to the block is wrapped around a flywheel on a fixed axis at O. The flywheel has mass 28.0 kg and moment of inertia 0.500 kg*m^2 with respect to the axis of rotation. The string pulls without slipping at a perpendicular distance of 0.200 m from that axis.

2. Relevant equations
    I tied solving for the sum of torques, which is T*r=I*([tex]\alpha[/tex]) where T is the tension and r is the radius of the pulley, .200 m. I think solved for T for the box. Once solving for T I got, T=mg(sin(theta)-cos(theta)*[tex]\mu[/tex]k)-m*a. Then using the rule, [tex]\alpha[/tex]=a/r, I then substituted a/r for all the [tex]\alpha[/tex]'s and then plugged my T for the torque equation into the T from the force equation.

In the end I came up with the equation:
    mg(sin(theta)-cos(theta)*[tex]\mu[/tex]k)-m*a = (I*a)/r^2

This yeilded me the wrong answer and I have no idea where I am wrong. I have a feeling it has to do with the mass of the pulley since it was given, but I am not sure how to relate it to the problem since they give you the moment of inertia for the pulley ???

Any help would be great thanks !

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi ASUengineer16,

What wrong answer did you get?

4. Apr 17, 2008 #3
    After solving for a in the final equation I got 1.1 m/s^2

5. Apr 18, 2008 #4
    actually seems like I made a rounding error, the correct answer was 1.165 m/s^2 but it wouldn't take 1.1 when I entered it,

and for part b, 14.6 N came out to be correct with 1.2 m/s^2 as the acceleration.

6. Apr 18, 2008 #5

alphysicist

Homework Helper

I was about to write back that I kept getting 1.16619 for the acceleration.

Glad it worked out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?