Sliding conductor on a metal rail, with perpendicular B-field

In summary, the rod comes to a stop and reverses direction because a force acts on the wire that opposes the motion.
serverxeon

Homework Statement

In the following diagram, the brown metallic conductor rod is given a slight push to the left.
The black lines are all conducting wires, with the entire setup placed in a perpendicular B-field. Ignore friction.

What will happen?

1) The rod slowly come to a stop?
2) The rod continues to move at constant speed?
3) The rod comes to a stop and reverses direction?

[PLAIN]http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/9687/magqj.png

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I think this should be the answer, as kinetic energy has to be converted to electrical current (heating of the wires). The motion has got to die down.
However, I cannot identify the retardation force that acts on the rod which is necessary for the motion to stop.

2) I don't think it's going to move forever as argued above.

3) I seriously doubt this man. Intuition, somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
serverxeon said:

Homework Statement

In the following diagram, the brown metallic conductor rod is given a slight push to the left.
The black lines are all conducting wires, with the entire setup placed in a perpendicular B-field. Ignore friction.

What will happen?

1) The rod slowly come to a stop?
2) The rod continues to move at constant speed?
3) The rod comes to a stop and reverses direction?

[PLAIN]http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/9687/magqj.png

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I think this should be the answer, as kinetic energy has to be converted to electrical current (heating of the wires). The motion has got to die down.
However, I cannot identify the retardation force that acts on the rod which is necessary for the motion to stop.

2) I don't think it's going to move forever as argued above.

3) I seriously doubt this man. Intuition, somehow.

As the conductor moves to the left, the area of the loop reduces. That means the amount of flux threading the loop reduces. That reduction in flux means a current is induced in the loop. Once that current is flowing through the moving wire, a force is induced on that wire [F = B.I.l ] that is the force that stops the wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, but,

the direction of the induced current in this case is anti-clockwise.
Therefore, the direction of the current in the rod, is upwards.
Wont the force on the rod be to the left?! that's not retardation?

serverxeon said:
Hmm, but,

the direction of the induced current in this case is anti-clockwise.
Therefore, the direction of the current in the rod, is upwards.
Wont the force on the rod be to the left?! that's not retardation?

Induced Forces ALWAYS oppose change so one of those direction reckonings is backwards. See if you can work out which one.

oh! sorry a slipped on my part.
so it's clockwise induced current. B-force is therefore on the right.
I see. thanks.

1. How does the sliding conductor on a metal rail interact with a perpendicular B-field?

When a conductor, such as a metal rail, is placed in a magnetic field, it experiences a force known as the Lorentz force. This is because the moving charges in the conductor experience a force due to their motion in the magnetic field. In the case of a perpendicular B-field, the force acts perpendicular to both the motion of the conductor and the direction of the magnetic field.

2. What factors affect the strength of the force on the sliding conductor?

The strength of the force on a sliding conductor in a perpendicular B-field depends on several factors. These include the strength of the magnetic field, the length of the conductor, the speed of the conductor, and the charge of the particles in the conductor. Additionally, the angle between the direction of motion and the magnetic field can also affect the strength of the force.

3. Can the direction of the force on the sliding conductor be reversed?

Yes, the direction of the force on a sliding conductor in a perpendicular B-field can be reversed by changing the direction of the magnetic field or the direction of motion of the conductor. This is because the force is always perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the direction of motion, so changing either one will result in a different direction of the force.

4. What happens if the sliding conductor is not perpendicular to the B-field?

If the conductor is not perpendicular to the B-field, the force acting on it will be at an angle to the direction of motion. This means that only a component of the force will act to change the direction of motion, while the other component will act to push the conductor along the surface in a direction parallel to the B-field.

5. How is this phenomenon used in real-world applications?

The interaction between a sliding conductor on a metal rail and a perpendicular B-field is used in many real-world applications, such as electric motors and generators. By controlling the direction and strength of the B-field, we can control the motion of the conductor and, in turn, generate electricity or create mechanical motion. This is the basis of many modern technologies, including power plants and electric vehicles.