Slightly Harder Cauchy Integral

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating the integral I_1 = \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{d\theta}{(5-3sin\theta)^2} by making the substitution z=e^{i\theta}. The integration is then converted to finding the residues at the poles z=0 and z=5/3. The question also discusses the appropriate contour to integrate over, with the suggestion of a unit circle.
knowlewj01

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral [itex]I_1 = \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{d\theta}{(5-3sin\theta)^2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I start off by switching the sine term for a complex exponential [itex]e^{i\theta}=cos\theta +isin\theta[/itex]
I will consider only the Imaginary component of the solution.

now make the substitution: [itex]z=e^{i\theta}[/itex]

so we have:

[itex]I_1 = Im\left(I_2\right)[/itex]

[itex]I_2 = \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{1}{(5-3z)^2}\frac{dz}{iz}=\frac{1}{i}\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{dz}{z(5-3z)^2}[/itex]

so we have 2 poles: a simple pole at z=0 and a second order pole at z=5/3

I'm not sure wether i need to include both residues. the question does not indicate the contour to integrate. Should it be a unit circle? I'm not sure why it would be. any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
knowlewj01 said:
I'm not sure wether i need to include both residues. the question does not indicate the contour to integrate. Should it be a unit circle? I'm not sure why it would be. any ideas?

The original integral is over θ from 0 to 2π. When you change your integration variable to z=exp(iθ), what values can z take?

1. What is a Cauchy integral?

A Cauchy integral is a type of line integral used in complex analysis to calculate the value of a function along a closed contour. It was first introduced by mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy in the 19th century.

2. How is a Cauchy integral different from a regular integral?

A Cauchy integral is defined over a closed contour in the complex plane, while a regular integral is defined over a real interval. In addition, the integrand function in a Cauchy integral must be analytic (i.e. have a derivative at every point), while regular integrals can be calculated for a wider range of functions.

3. What makes the "Slightly Harder" Cauchy integral different?

The "Slightly Harder" Cauchy integral involves integrating a function that is not necessarily analytic over a closed contour. This requires additional techniques, such as using the Cauchy integral formula or Cauchy's integral theorem, to solve the integral.

4. What are some applications of the "Slightly Harder" Cauchy integral?

The "Slightly Harder" Cauchy integral is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving electric and magnetic fields, fluid dynamics, and heat transfer. It is also used in signal processing and image analysis.

5. Is the "Slightly Harder" Cauchy integral still important even with advances in computing technology?

Yes, the "Slightly Harder" Cauchy integral is still important because it provides a powerful tool for solving complex problems that cannot be easily solved with numerical methods. It also has applications in pure mathematics, such as in the study of analytic functions and complex geometry.