Slope of tangent line (DE)

In summary: You might be able to use the Chain Rule to find c. Start with the original equation and use the Chain Rule to get c=-y+ \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}.
EvLer
Here's the problem:

detrmine DE giving the slope of the tangent line at point (x,y) for the given family of curves:

[tex] 2cy = x^2 - c^2 [/tex]

Here's what I have:

slope of this curve:

[tex] y' = \frac{x}{c} [/tex]

So, then the slope of tangent line is negative inverse:

[tex] y' = \m \frac{-c}{x} [/tex]

so now I need c, but I don't see how to pull it out from the original equation!

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The negative reciprocal would be the slope of the perpendicular line. The slope of the tangent line would just be x/c. What you want to do now is express c in terms of x and y (use the quadratic formula).

AKG said:
What you want to do now is express c in terms of x and y (use the quadratic formula).
That is precisely the problem.
and I'm not seeing how I can do that, even with quadratic formula.

This is a quadratic equation in c.

AKG said:

This is a quadratic equation in c.

Are you talking about [tex] (a + b)^2[/tex]? but there's y.
RHS has [tex] (a + b) (a - b)[/tex] but I don't know how that's helping me.

A quadratic equation in x takes the form ax² + bx + c = 0, and the quadratic formula allows you to find the two complex solutions to this equation:

[tex]x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

AKG said:
A quadratic equation in x takes the form ax² + bx + c = 0, and the quadratic formula allows you to find the two complex solutions to this equation:

[tex]x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

Oh, yeah, complex... I didn't think of them being here.
Thanks a lot.

Well your solutions for this quadratic equation will be real, but real numbers are complex numbers.

English terminology was the hardest part here: quadratic equation. It's called somth. else in my language and does't translate word for word, so I made a wrong association.
Thanks for your help, that is really like hischool algebra, I feel dumb... :redface:

EvLer said:
Here's the problem:

detrmine DE giving the slope of the tangent line at point (x,y) for the given family of curves:

Here's what I have:

slope of this curve:

[tex] y' = \frac{x}{c} [/tex]

You are completely off base here. You need to eliminate the constant c, getting a differential equation that does not involve c. Yes, 2cy'= 2x. Now, [tex]c^2+ 2cy= x^2[/tex] so [tex]c^2+ 2cy+ y^2= (c+y)^2= x^2+ y^2[/tex]. That is: [tex]c+ y= \pm\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/tex]
and [tex]c= -y+ \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/tex] or [tex] c= -y- \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/tex]. The slope satisfies [tex](-y+ \sqrt{x^2+ y^2})y'= x[/tex] or [tex](-y- \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}= x[/tex].

So, then the slope of tangent line is negative inverse:

[tex] y' = \m \frac{-c}{x} [/tex]

No, the slope of the tangent line is the derivative. You are thinking of the slope of the normal line.

so now I need c, but I don't see how to pull it out from the original equation!

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What does the slope of a tangent line represent?

The slope of a tangent line at a certain point on a curve represents the instantaneous rate of change or the steepness of the curve at that point.

2. How is the slope of a tangent line calculated?

The slope of a tangent line is calculated by finding the derivative of the function at the point of interest. This can be done using the limit definition of derivative or using differentiation rules.

3. Why is the slope of a tangent line important?

The slope of a tangent line is important because it can provide information about the behavior of a curve at a specific point. It can also be used to find the equation of the tangent line, which can be helpful in solving various problems in calculus and physics.

4. What is the relationship between the slope of a tangent line and the slope of the curve at a point?

The slope of a tangent line is equal to the slope of the curve at the point of tangency. This means that the tangent line is a good approximation of the curve near that point.

5. Can the slope of a tangent line be negative?

Yes, the slope of a tangent line can be negative. This means that the curve is decreasing at that point. Similarly, a positive slope indicates that the curve is increasing at that point.