Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slow Egg

1. Oct 22, 2004 #1
    Hey my name is Andy and I'm a student at UW-Milwaukee where I'm studying Physics. I have a project right now that I need a little help with. What would you guys do if you had to lower an egg to the ground in the slowest time possible from an approximate hieght of 8ft. It can not exceed 5 min in time.
    Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd put an elastic bed just onto the ground. Once the egg has fallen on the bed, I'd put it on the ground in the smaller time possible. :biggrin: Gravity plays the rest.
  4. Oct 22, 2004 #3
    A pulley, a second identical egg (or weight), a rope and 2 harnesses and a slow, precise, electric motor, all configured as a standard elevator.
  5. Oct 22, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A mechanical speed regulator - as the egg drops, it spins a gadget. When the gadget spins slowly, a mechanical brake is disengated. When the gadget spins quickly, a mechancical brake is engaged. Centripetal forces, acting against either a spring or a weight, activate the braking system, so that it can't spin over a certain rate.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?