Small Liberal Arts vs Big State School for Math

In summary: You can find a lot of resources here, and the professors are more than willing to help you out.In summary, the junior in high school is considering majoring in math, but is unsure of what type of school would be best for him. He is attending Ohio State University and likes the honors mathematics courses. He has never heard of Xavier or Oberlin, but if the student plans on going into a career instead of going to graduate school, they would do well to consider those schools. The junior also has a similar school to Oberlin and their math department is small but he has gotten a lot of individual attention from the professors.
Bearded Man
I. Background
I'm a junior in HS right now and am fairly sure I'd like to be a math major. I'm interested in pure math and will be self-studying Spivak this summer. Next year I'm taking AP BC Calculus (ewwww) concurrently with Linear Algebra and Multivariable Calculus (likely plug and chugs as well).

II. The Question

I have perused the math programs of various liberal arts schools, like Xavier University and Oberlin College, and my assumption is that taking graduate classes at a big state school like Ohio State University or the University of Michigan Ann Arbor would be easier. It appears that the state schools have more options - the caveat being I need to find my niche. I live in Ohio, if you haven't assumed that yet. For you mathematicians, does one type of school excel over the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am attending OSU right now. The engineering mathematics courses are a joke. They are the same difficulty as the mathematics courses I took back when I was at CUNY in NYC. The honors mathematics courses on the other hand are much more fun and much more challenging. They are taught in small groups by full time faculty who will have no problem pushing you to your limits.

I am from NYC and name wise... I have never heard of Xavier or Oberlin. If you plan on going straight into your career instead of going to grad school, that might also be something else you want to think about. Most of the people I hang around with are in the finance industry and if they haven't ever heard of the university you graduated from, chances are you have no chance.

I go to a liberal arts school of a similar character to Oberlin. We don't have graduate level courses or a nearby university where you can take them, but we have an Honors program, which is basically independent graduate-level work. Our math department is pretty tiny, but it means you get a lot of individual attention and you get to know the professors and the other students really well. If you need more of a challenge, the professors will find a way to give it to you. If you show promise and an interest in the field, they will work very hard to make sure you have opportunities to succeed--independent studies, helping with their research, whatever. They are also very open to helping students who are working hard but still struggling.

It's true that we don't have all the same opportunities of a big research institution, and sometimes it's frustrating, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Our professors are great, and I love it here.

As far as grad school goes, we did have a CS major get into MIT's PhD program recently, and our CS department is even smaller than the math department. So it's really what you make of it.

What are the main differences between studying math at a small liberal arts college and a large state school?

One of the main differences is class size. At a small liberal arts college, classes tend to be smaller and have a lower student-to-faculty ratio, which can provide more individualized attention and opportunities for discussion. At a large state school, classes can be much larger and have a higher student-to-faculty ratio, which may make it more challenging to receive personalized attention from professors.

Which option is better for developing strong math skills?

Both small liberal arts colleges and large state schools can offer a strong math education. However, small liberal arts colleges may focus more on critical thinking and problem-solving skills, while large state schools may have a greater emphasis on theoretical mathematics and research.

Are there differences in the types of math courses offered at each type of institution?

Yes, the types of math courses offered can vary between small liberal arts colleges and large state schools. Small liberal arts colleges may offer a wider range of math courses, including interdisciplinary courses that combine math with other subjects. Large state schools may have a larger number of specialized math courses in areas such as statistics or actuarial science.

How do the opportunities for undergraduate research differ between small liberal arts colleges and large state schools in math?

Undergraduate research opportunities can be found at both small liberal arts colleges and large state schools. However, small liberal arts colleges may have more opportunities for students to conduct research with faculty, while large state schools may have more resources and funding for research projects.

Which option would be better for preparing for a graduate degree in math?

Both small liberal arts colleges and large state schools can provide a strong foundation for pursuing a graduate degree in math. Small liberal arts colleges may offer more personalized attention and opportunities for research, while large state schools may have more resources for graduate-level coursework and research projects.