Small pipe break for an ideal gas

In summary, the problem deals with finding the flow rate of an ideal gas through a small break in a large tube. The tube is filled with gas at a high pressure and temperature, and the break leads to an environment with a much lower pressure. The process is adiabatic and isentropic, and the size of the break is assumed to be small. The flow rate can be determined using the compressible flow version of the Bernoulli equation and considering the gas flow as close to reversible expansion.
eXorikos

Homework Statement

A large tube filled with an ideal gas at pressure p1 and temperature T1 has a small break in it towards an envirronement at p2, with p1 much larger than p2. What is the flow rate through the hole to the outside of the tube.

Homework Equations

pv=rT
Δh+Δc2/2=δq-δl
h1 + c12 = h2 + c22/2

The Attempt at a Solution

The proces is adiabatic and isentropic so Δh+Δc2/2=0
Since it is a large tube it can be presumed that c1=0. Since p2 is much lower than p1 we can presume h2 = 0.

Am I on the right track here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the exact wording of the problem statement?

Yes. Do you need size of the break?

eXorikos said:
Yes. Do you need size of the break?
Sure. If the size of the break is zero, then the flow rate is zero.

Since the whole exercise is symbolic, let's assume size A which is small. Than the equation I mentioned would give the velocity, we have A and I can find the density using the total state of the system.

Is this correct?

eXorikos said:
Since the whole exercise is symbolic, let's assume size A which is small. Than the equation I mentioned would give the velocity, we have A and I can find the density using the total state of the system.

Is this correct?
What makes you think that h2 can be taken as zero? Are you familiar with the compressible flow version of the Bernoulli equation? Do you think that the gas in the tank approaching the exit hole will be experiencing something close to (a) isothermal expansion or (b) adiabatic expansion? Do you think that the gas flow will be close to reversible expansion or no?

Good points. Than I have no idea on how to approach this problem.

Can you point me into a direction?

My leading questions were to get you pointed in the right direction. Here's another hint: for the flow approaching the exit hole in the tank,
$$dh=-vdv$$

1. What is a small pipe break for an ideal gas?

A small pipe break for an ideal gas refers to a situation where a small crack or hole forms in a pipe that is carrying an ideal gas. This allows the gas to escape and can potentially lead to changes in pressure and temperature.

2. How does a small pipe break affect an ideal gas?

A small pipe break can cause a decrease in pressure and an increase in volume for an ideal gas. This is because the gas is able to escape and expand into the surrounding environment.

3. Can a small pipe break result in an explosion?

It is unlikely that a small pipe break for an ideal gas would result in an explosion. However, if the gas is flammable and there is an ignition source present, it could potentially lead to an explosion.

4. How is a small pipe break for an ideal gas fixed?

A small pipe break can be fixed by repairing or replacing the damaged section of the pipe. The gas flow may also need to be shut off and the pressure and temperature of the system may need to be adjusted.

5. What precautions should be taken to prevent a small pipe break for an ideal gas?

To prevent a small pipe break for an ideal gas, regular maintenance and inspections should be conducted on the pipes. It is also important to use pipes that are suitable for the type of gas being transported and to follow safety regulations and guidelines.