Smoked Trout - How To Prepare?

• Thread starter fitz_calc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prepare
In summary, the trout was hot-smoked and should not be cooked. The recipient asked for a recipe for a dip with cheddar and crackers.
fitz_calc
I "inherited" this 1.0lb smoked trout from a buddy, it's in my fridge right now thawing. I am not gifted in the art of preparing food so I come to you for advice; how would you prepare this? I have access to a grill but it's too cold outside, should I fry it up in a pan with some oil? Maybe bake it? :)

1EHP0eq.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it hot or cold smoked? It looks hot smoked to me, if so the recipes below are perfect for it.

I'd love that with a big pile of scrambled eggs, some chives and asparagus (or possibly onion if asparagus isn't in season).

Make sure the eggs are scrambled with double cream to give them a velvety smooth texture.

Blanch the asparagus, then start scrambling the eggs, put the asparagus onto a really hot pan (one of those ridged pans is great for it) until it just colours on the outside. Lift out and chop into inch sized pieces. Then add to the scrambled eggs along with the smoked trout (cut it into inch cubes as well), don't stir too much or you'll break the trout up.

Or possibly make up a sauce with sour cream and dill spread that onto a toasted ciabata(sp?) handful of onions then a handful (or two or even three!) of flaked trout, then finish with a squeese of lemon over the top.

Or smoked trout can make a nice kedgeree, http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4801/hotsmoked-trout-kedgeree

Here, try this: http://www.dexknows.com/local/health_care/health_care_services/addiction/geo/c-trout_creek-mt/att/smoking/

This has to be one of the strangest requests I've seen on this forum.

I "inherited" this 1.0lb smoked trout from a buddy.

I want to little more elaboration on how one goes about "inheriting" a smoked trout from his buddy before I reveal any secrets. Sounds a little "fishy" to me this whole thing...

Smoked trout should be fully cooked and make a tasty dip.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/smoked-trout-dip-recipe/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
fitz_calc said:
I "inherited" this 1.0lb smoked trout from a buddy, it's in my fridge right now thawing. I am not gifted in the art of preparing food so I come to you for advice; how would you prepare this? I have access to a grill but it's too cold outside, should I fry it up in a pan with some oil? Maybe bake it? :)

Ask your buddy if the fish was hot-smoked. If so, there is no need for cooking at all. Open it up and place it skin-down on a platter, and serve it with sharp cheddar and crackers. Don't be afraid to pair up fish with strong-tasting foods, especially if it was smoked using apple wood, alder chips, etc. Good luck.

What are the health benefits of eating smoked trout?

Smoked trout is a great source of protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and essential vitamins and minerals. It may also help reduce the risk of heart disease and improve brain function.

What is the best way to prepare smoked trout?

The best way to prepare smoked trout is to first remove the skin and bones, then flake the meat and mix it with your desired ingredients. It can be enjoyed in salads, sandwiches, or as a topping for crackers or toast.

What are some common seasonings and flavors that go well with smoked trout?

Some popular seasonings and flavors that pair well with smoked trout include lemon, dill, parsley, garlic, and black pepper. It can also be delicious with a creamy sauce or a touch of honey.

Can smoked trout be cooked or eaten raw?

Smoked trout is fully cooked during the smoking process, so it is safe to eat without further cooking. However, it can also be cooked if desired, such as in a quiche or pasta dish. It is not recommended to eat raw smoked trout.

How should smoked trout be stored and how long does it last?

Smoked trout should be stored in the refrigerator and consumed within 3-4 days. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container before storing.