Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smoked Trout - How To Prepare?

1. Feb 26, 2013 #1
    I "inherited" this 1.0lb smoked trout from a buddy, it's in my fridge right now thawing. I am not gifted in the art of preparing food so I come to you for advice; how would you prepare this? I have access to a grill but it's too cold outside, should I fry it up in a pan with some oil? Maybe bake it? :)

1EHP0eq.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2013 #2

trollcast

Gold Member

Is it hot or cold smoked? It looks hot smoked to me, if so the recipes below are perfect for it.

I'd love that with a big pile of scrambled eggs, some chives and asparagus (or possibly onion if asparagus isn't in season).

Make sure the eggs are scrambled with double cream to give them a velvety smooth texture.

Blanch the asparagus, then start scrambling the eggs, put the asparagus onto a really hot pan (one of those ridged pans is great for it) until it just colours on the outside. Lift out and chop into inch sized pieces. Then add to the scrambled eggs along with the smoked trout (cut it into inch cubes as well), don't stir too much or you'll break the trout up.

Or possibly make up a sauce with sour cream and dill spread that onto a toasted ciabata(sp?) handful of onions then a handful (or two or even three!) of flaked trout, then finish with a squeese of lemon over the top.

Or smoked trout can make a nice kedgeree, http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4801/hotsmoked-trout-kedgeree

4. Feb 26, 2013 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here, try this: Trout Creek Smoking Cessation

This has to be one of the strangest requests I've seen on this forum.

5. Feb 26, 2013 #4

I wanna little more elaboration on how one goes about "inheriting" a smoked trout from his buddy before I reveal any secrets. Sounds a little "fishy" to me this whole thing...

6. Feb 26, 2013 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Smoked trout should be fully cooked and make a tasty dip.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/smoked-trout-dip-recipe/index.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Feb 26, 2013 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Ask your buddy if the fish was hot-smoked. If so, there is no need for cooking at all. Open it up and place it skin-down on a platter, and serve it with sharp cheddar and crackers. Don't be afraid to pair up fish with strong-tasting foods, especially if it was smoked using apple wood, alder chips, etc. Good luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook