Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smooth maps between manifolds domain restriction

1. Jan 23, 2014 #1
    Let ##M## and ##N## be smooth manifolds and let ##F:M \to N## be a smooth map. Iff ##(U,\phi)## is a chart on ##M## and ##(V,\psi)## is a chart on ##N## then the coordinate representation of ##F## is given by ##\psi \circ F \circ \phi^{-1}: \phi(U \cap F^{-1}(V)) \to \psi(V)##. My question is: why one restricts the domain of ##\psi \circ F \circ \phi^{-1}## to ##\phi(U \cap F^{-1}(V))## and not just ##\phi(U)##? I see one can run the risk that ##F(U) \cap V = \varnothing## and that ##\psi(\varnothing)## is not well defined. Is this the reason for the restriction on the domain?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2014 #2
    I think what you're trying to say is right.

The basic idea is that your chart homeomorphism ##\psi## is defined only on ##V##. Thus, we have to start with elements of ##\phi(U)## (the domain of ##\phi^{-1}##) that have images that ##F## can map into ##V##. Otherwise, we could have a point ##u\in U## such that ##F(u)\not\in V##, so ##\psi(u)## is undefined.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook