Snowball Projectile Motion Calculation: Time, Height, and Velocity

• Thread starter barthayn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary: Does it have any initial velocity in that direction? How can you use that to answer b and c?In summary, a child throws a snowball with a horizontal velocity of 18m/s towards a tree from a distance of 9.0m and a height of 1.5m above the ground. Using the equation v=d/t, the time interval for the snowball to hit the tree is 0.5 seconds. Since the snowball is thrown with only horizontal velocity, it has no initial velocity in the vertical direction. This means that it will hit the tree at the same height as it was thrown from and its velocity as it strikes the tree will also be 18m/s.
barthayn

Homework Statement

A child throws a snowball with a horizontal velocity of 18m/s directly toward a tree, from a distance of 9.0m and a height above the ground of 1.5m

a) after what time interval does the snowball hit the tree?
b) at what height above the ground will the snowball hit the tree?
c) determine the snowball's velocity as it strikes the tree.

Homework Equations

v=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

For a I got 0.5s from t = d/v

For b and c I have no idea. I am missing the viy value. I have no idea how to any other information.

Physics news on Phys.org
barthayn said:

Homework Statement

A child throws a snowball with a horizontal velocity of 18m/s directly toward a tree, from a distance of 9.0m and a height above the ground of 1.5m

a) after what time interval does the snowball hit the tree?
b) at what height above the ground will the snowball hit the tree?
c) determine the snowball's velocity as it strikes the tree.

Homework Equations

v=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

For a I got 0.5s from t = d/v
yes OK; ultimately you'll have to be sure that the snowball doesn't hit the ground before it reaches the tree.
For b and c I have no idea. I am missing the viy value. I have no idea how to any other information.
The problem statement notes that the snowball is thrown with a horizontal velocity. What does that tell you about the snowball's initial speed in the vertical y direction?

1. What is motion?

Motion is the change in position of an object over time. It can be described in terms of distance, displacement, speed, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object moves, while velocity is the rate at which an object moves in a specific direction. In other words, velocity includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

3. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It can be positive (speeding up), negative (slowing down), or zero (constant speed).

4. How is motion measured?

Motion can be measured using various tools such as rulers, stopwatches, speedometers, and accelerometers. These tools allow us to track the distance, time, and speed of an object's motion.

5. What factors affect an object's motion?

Several factors can affect an object's motion, including the force applied to the object, the mass of the object, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance. Additionally, the presence of gravity can also affect an object's motion.