SO(2,1) Lie Algebra Derivation

In summary, the conversation discusses trying to derive the SO(2,1) algebra from the SO(3) algebra through taking commutators and using the metric tensor. However, this does not seem to produce the desired result. It is then revealed that the algebra for SO(2,1) can be written in a different basis, which is appropriate for the conformal algebra. This leads to a discussion about how different Lie algebras can describe the same group, and the concept of an isomorphism between different physical systems with the same mathematical symmetry.
geoduck
I'm trying to derive the SO(2,1) algebra from the SO(3) algebra.

The generators for SO(3) are given by:

[tex]M^{ij}_{ab}=i*(\delta_{a}^{i}\delta_{b}^{j}-\delta_{b}^{i}\delta_{a}^{j}) [/tex]

where "a" represents the row, and "b" represents the column, and "ij" represents the generator (12=spin in 3 direction, 23=spin in 1 direction, etc.).

To get SO(2,1), I thought you just raised the "a" term by using the metric tensor:

[tex]M^{(ij)a}_{b}=i*(g^{ai}\delta_{b}^{j}-\delta_{b}^{i}g^{aj}) [/tex]

and took the commutators of the Mij with each other to derive the Lie Algebra.

But when I do this I don't seem to get the Lie algebra of SO(2,1). I have some notes that say the Lie Algebra of SO(2,1) is given by:

[D,H]=-iH
[K,D]=-iK
[H,K]=2iD

where D, H, and K are the generators. I get nothing like that when I take the commutators of M12, M23, and M31.

Physics news on Phys.org
geoduck said:
But when I do this I don't seem to get the Lie algebra of SO(2,1). I have some notes that say the Lie Algebra of SO(2,1) is given by:

[D,H]=-iH
[K,D]=-iK
[H,K]=2iD

where D, H, and K are the generators. I get nothing like that when I take the commutators of M12, M23, and M31.

The algebra above is written in a completely different basis from the angular momentum algebra you wrote before. This is a representation appropriate to the conformal algebra acting on a particle in 1d:

[tex]\begin{split}& H = -\frac{\partial}{\partial x} ,&~~~ \mathrm{translation} \\
&D = -i x \frac{\partial}{\partial x}, & ~~~\mathrm{dilatation} \\
&K = - x^2 \frac{\partial}{\partial x} , & ~~~\mathrm{special ~conformal}. \end{split}[/tex]

If you want to write this in terms of angular momentum and boosts, it looks like you can write
[tex]\begin{split}& J = D, \\
&B_1 = \frac{i}{2} (H+K), \\
&B_2 = \frac{i}{2} (-H+K). \end{split}[/tex]
Then
[tex]\begin{split}& [J,B_1] = iB_2, \\
& [J,B_2] = -iB_1, \\
& [B_1,B_2] = -i J. \end{split}[/tex]

The algebra you want is obtained by identifying

[tex] M_{23} = J,~~M_{12}=B_1,~~M_{31}=B_2.[/tex]

I could have signs wrong, but you should be able to get the general idea by working through the algebra.

Thanks.

It seems then that different Lie Algebras can describe the same group?

The conformal algebra, when taking a linear combination of the generators, gives you the 3-dimensional Lorentz algebra: this must mean that you can use either set of generators and exponentiate to produce a representation of the group.

Does this mean that you can perform a dilation, translation, and special conformal transformation and achieve the same result with rotations and boosts?

I'm a little confused about the terminology: there's the conformal algebra, and the Lorentz algebra, but is the group that they are describing called SO(2,1)?

What we have are two different physical systems. The conformal symmetry of a particle in 1d and the Lorentz symmetry of 3d Minkowski space. In both cases, it turns out that the associated Lie algebra is SO(2,1). So, even though we started with different physics, the mathematical symmetry is the same. If my calculations above are correct, I've given an isomorphism between the natural generators for the two physical systems.

More generally, it can be the case that two different Lie algebras describe the same group. For example, the Lie algebras of SO(3) and SU(2) are the same, even though the groups are different. Though, they're not that different: SU(2) is mathematically a double cover of SO(3) as a manifold.

1. What is the SO(2,1) Lie Algebra?

The SO(2,1) Lie Algebra is a mathematical structure that describes the symmetry properties of a space with two space-like dimensions and one time-like dimension. It is a type of Lie algebra, which is a collection of mathematical objects that satisfy certain algebraic properties.

2. How is the SO(2,1) Lie Algebra derived?

The SO(2,1) Lie Algebra can be derived by considering the infinitesimal transformations of a 2+1 dimensional space. By examining the algebraic properties of these transformations, the generators of the SO(2,1) Lie Algebra can be determined.

3. What are the applications of the SO(2,1) Lie Algebra?

The SO(2,1) Lie Algebra has various applications in physics, particularly in the study of special relativity and quantum mechanics. It is also used in geometry and differential equations to describe the symmetries of a 2+1 dimensional space.

4. What is the significance of the SO(2,1) Lie Algebra in mathematics?

The SO(2,1) Lie Algebra is significant in mathematics as it is a fundamental algebraic structure that helps to understand the symmetries of a 2+1 dimensional space. It is also important in the study of Lie groups, which are mathematical objects that have applications in many areas of mathematics.

5. Are there any real-world examples that can be described using the SO(2,1) Lie Algebra?

Yes, the SO(2,1) Lie Algebra can be used to describe the symmetries of physical systems, such as the motion of a particle in a 2+1 dimensional space. It can also be applied to describe the behavior of certain physical fields, such as electromagnetic fields, in curved spacetime.