Particle Position and Momentary Stop: Solving a Motion Equation

• Thread starter einsteinphysi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, a particle's position is given by x = 3.00 - 12.00t + 3t2, and the units of the time variable t and the position variable x are m and s, respectively. To find where the particle momentarily stops, we can set the velocity to 0 and solve for the time, which gives us t = 2 seconds. The velocity of the particle when it stops is 0 m/s.
einsteinphysi

Homework Statement

A particle's position is given by x = 3.00 - 12.00t + 3t2, in which x is in meters and t is in seconds. Where is the particle when it momentarily stops?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging in m and s, like m= 3 - 12s +3s^2 and tried to solve for s but hit a dead end

Physics news on Phys.org
I know I'm probably doing it dead-wrong, though.

What is the velocity of the particle when it stops?

To reply to your attempted solution, why would you substitute 'm' for x and 's' for t?
'm' and 's' are the units of the time variable t and the position variable x.

SteamKing said:
What is the velocity of the particle when it stops?

I don't want to answer but can you give me a hint as to how I would find that?
Well, if it's stopped...0?

x = 3.00 - 12.00t + 3t2
v= 12 +6t?

a=6?

ok so you have a function that describes the velocity (v = 12 + 6t) and you have a value for the velocity that you want to know what time it occurs at...

raymo39 said:
ok so you have a function that describes the velocity (v = 12 + 6t) and you have a value for the velocity that you want to know what time it occurs at...

So plug in 0 for v? 0=12 + 6t
-2=t?

When I then plug -2 into original? 39?

HAHA, I see a mistake (when I took the derivative).
v=-12 + 6t
0=-12 + 6t
2=t

Now what?

Got it!

well done! :)

1. What does "so confused by this" mean?

When someone says they are "so confused by this," it means that they are having difficulty understanding or making sense of something.

2. How can I stop feeling so confused by things?

To stop feeling confused, try breaking down the problem or concept into smaller, more manageable parts. Additionally, asking questions and seeking clarification can also help alleviate confusion.

3. Why do I feel so confused by this particular subject?

There can be many reasons for feeling confused by a subject, including lack of prior knowledge or understanding, complexity of the topic, or conflicting information. It's important to identify the root cause of confusion in order to address it effectively.

4. Is feeling confused a bad thing?

No, feeling confused is a natural part of learning and gaining new knowledge. It shows that you are actively engaging with the material and trying to make sense of it. However, it's important to address confusion in order to fully understand the subject.

5. How can I communicate my confusion to others?

To effectively communicate confusion, try to explain what you do understand and what is still unclear. Ask specific questions and provide examples to help others understand where you are struggling. It's also important to actively listen to any explanations or clarifications provided.