So here is what i have for a solution to the heat eqn.

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, the conversation is about solving the heat equation and using the orthogonality of the cosine function to find the value of A_n. The attempted solution involves multiplying both sides by the cosine function and integrating over the interval [0,L]. The person then asks for help and mentions having a similar post on a different topic.
member 428835

Homework Statement

i am solving the heat equation and so far i know what i have is correct. basically, i am down to this [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}A_n\cos(\frac{n\pi x}{L})=273+96(2L-4x)[/tex] where all i need is to solve for [itex]A_n[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i was thinking about taking advantage of the orthogonality of the cosine function and multiplying both sides by [itex]\cos(\frac{m\pi x}{L})[/itex] and then integrate over the interval [itex][0,L][/itex]. my question is, if [itex]m\neq n[/itex] then i can move this cosine into the sum, integrate term wise, yet the left side equals zero ([itex]m\neq n[/itex]). Thus, [itex]m = n[/itex], and then if i multiply both sides by [itex]\cos(\frac{n\pi x}{L})[/itex] i cannot put this cosine term inside the sum, and thus i have lost the idea of how to solve for [itex]A_n[/itex]. any help/advice is awesome!

for what it's worth, this is not a class i am in, I'm just doing the problem for fun. thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:

Homework Statement

i am solving the heat equation and so far i know what i have is correct. basically, i am down to this [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}A_n\cos(\frac{n\pi x}{L})=273+96(2L-4x)[/tex] where all i need is to solve for [itex]A_n[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i was thinking about taking advantage of the orthogonality of the cosine function and multiplying both sides by [itex]\cos(\frac{m\pi x}{L})[/itex] and then integrate over the interval [itex][0,L][/itex].

This is the standard procedure.

my question is, if [itex]m\neq n[/itex] then i can move this cosine into the sum, integrate term wise, yet the left side equals zero ([itex]m\neq n[/itex]).

No. The left hand side is
[tex]
\int_0^L \cos(m\pi x/L) \sum_{n=0}^\infty A_n \cos(n \pi x /L)\,dx
= \sum_{n= 0}^\infty \left(A_n \int_0^L \cos(m \pi x/L) \cos(n\pi x/L)\,dx\right) \\
= A_m \int_0^L \cos^2(m \pi x/L)\,dx
[/tex]
Remember that [itex]n[/itex] varies in the summation, but [itex]m[/itex] is fixed. At some point [itex]n[/itex] must take the value [itex]m[/itex], and this is the only term in the sum which doesn't vanish on integration.

Last edited:
thanks!

i have another post in the pde/ode theory part on a similar topic. if youre not too busy, perhaps you could take a look?

What is the heat equation?

The heat equation is a mathematical model that describes how heat is distributed and transferred in a given system over time. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems related to heat transfer and temperature changes.

What is the significance of finding a solution to the heat equation?

Finding a solution to the heat equation allows us to accurately predict the temperature distribution and changes in a given system. This is crucial in various industries such as manufacturing, energy production, and climate studies, where precise temperature control is essential.

What are the key factors that affect the heat equation?

The key factors that affect the heat equation include the initial temperature distribution, the thermal properties of the materials involved, and the boundary conditions of the system. These factors can significantly impact the rate and direction of heat transfer.

How is the heat equation solved?

The heat equation is typically solved using various numerical methods, such as finite difference method, finite element method, and spectral methods. These methods involve breaking down the problem into smaller, solvable equations and using iterative processes to reach a solution.

What are some real-world applications of the heat equation?

The heat equation has numerous real-world applications, including designing efficient heating and cooling systems, predicting weather patterns, understanding global warming, and analyzing heat transfer in manufacturing processes. It is also used in medical research to study the effects of temperature on living organisms.