Physics & Math of Soap Films & Bubbles

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of the physics and mathematics behind soap films and soap bubbles. The speakers are in search of materials and resources that explain the surface tension mechanism, Young-Laplace equation, and other mathematical concepts related to this subject. Some suggested resources include J. Oprea's "The Mathematics of Soap Films" and C. Isenberg's "The Science of Soap Films and Soap Bubbles", as well as the free geometry program Surface Evolver. The main connection between physics and mathematics in this topic is demonstrated through the Young-Laplace equation.
neworder1
I'm looking for some stuff concerning the physics and mathematics of soap films and soap bubbles - I mean things like the surface tension mechanism, Young-Laplace equation etc. and the mathematical side of the subject, i.e. minimal surfaces, mean curvature etc.

I know that there are two nice books on this topic, J. Oprea "The Mathematics of Soap Films" and C. Isenberg "The Science of Soap Films and Soap Bubbles", but unfortunately I've been unable to get them, so I'd be glad if anyone could recommend something easily available on the web.

I'm familiar with things like Euler-Lagrange equations, principles of differential geometry etc., so the materials needn't be on a very basic level.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are asking a very generic question, and there's lots of material on the web. For example, are you looking for:

Pretty pictures
Differential geometry
Interfacial phenomena
...?

I'm looking for a reasonably detailed explanation of how interfacial phenomena, surface tension etc. are connected to the mathematical side of soap films' properties, Young-Laplace equation, mean curvature and basically differential geometry stuff.

I'd be surprised if you found that on-line, for free.

The main connection comes from the Young-Laplace equation [itex]\Delta P = -2 \sigma\kappa [/itex]. The physics goes into the pressure jump.

There's a free geometry program (Surface Evolver) out of the University of Minnesota that plots minimum energy shapes of fluids, given certain boundary conditions (anchoring regions, gravity, etc)

http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/

We used it for liquid bridge simulations.

1. What makes soap films and bubbles have different colors?

Soap films and bubbles have different colors because of the phenomenon called thin film interference. As light passes through a thin film, some of it is reflected off the top surface and some is reflected off the bottom surface. The reflected light waves can either cancel each other out or reinforce each other, creating different colors depending on the thickness of the film.

2. How does the surface tension of soap affect the shape of bubbles?

The surface tension of soap is what allows bubbles to maintain their spherical shape. The soap molecules reduce the surface tension of water, allowing the bubble to stretch and form a thin film. The surface tension also pulls the bubble inward, creating a spherical shape.

3. Can soap bubbles be used to study mathematical concepts?

Yes, soap bubbles can be used to study mathematical concepts such as geometry, symmetry, and minimal surfaces. The spherical shape of a bubble is a perfect representation of a geometric sphere, and the patterns formed by multiple bubbles can demonstrate concepts like hexagonal packing and Voronoi diagrams.

4. How do soap films and bubbles behave in different environments?

The behavior of soap films and bubbles can vary in different environments due to factors such as temperature, humidity, and air currents. For example, bubbles tend to last longer in dry conditions because there is less water vapor to evaporate the thin film. In windy conditions, bubbles may be more unstable and prone to popping.

5. Can the study of soap films and bubbles have real-world applications?

Yes, the physics and math behind soap films and bubbles have real-world applications in various fields such as engineering, material science, and biochemistry. For example, the study of thin film interference in soap bubbles has helped in the development of anti-reflective coatings for eyeglasses and solar panels. The understanding of surface tension has also been applied in the creation of microfluidic devices for medical diagnostics.