1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Soft error pulse width in CPU

1. Jul 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, I am trying to inject some faults into a CPU manually. But I am not sure what should the soft error (SET) pulse width should be? I know that is different in different case. Therefore, I am going to set up a random generator to generator the SET pulse width. But what range should I set?
    I have google the pulse width but it desnot give me any useful information for the range. Most of them are the SET pulse width for inverter.

Best regard
    Ivan

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What computer are you using? Why are you doing this? What if your "soft error" crashes the PC for good?

4. Jul 19, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your reply
    I am using a simply processor and run it in modelsim using verilog. I want to find out the soft error rate and do the recovery. Before the recovery stage, I need to see which block in the processor cause the most errors rate and then consider how much recovery blocks should I put in. I know ALU and control block normally cause the most fault in CPU but I would like to make the "balance" between each block for recovery.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook