What Can You Do with a Degree in Software Systems Engineering?

In summary: So long as you learn programming fundamentals, you can code just about anything. I'm just thinking that the degree probably won't be focused on those types of applications, though I don't know. Plenty of schools use the term "software systems" and "software" interchangeably. Look at the curriculum and see what types of courses they offer.
jordan123
Hello. I have just a few questions for you guys!

1) Software Systems Engineering vs Software Engineering? U of R only has the systems style.

2) Would you take Co-operative education if your school offered it with their engineering degree. (Only reason I do not is it is an extra year to get a degree hmm)

3) Lastly, my school offers engineering minors with engineering majors you choose. Now would it be wise to minor in say electrical, environmental, industrial etc while majoring in software. Or just take random electives like the ethical issues of science and technology, and other classes that are interesting?

Thanks PF!

Physics news on Phys.org
jordan123 said:
1) Software Systems Engineering vs Software Engineering? U of R only has the systems style.
Depends on what you're interested in. If you like systems programming (C, assembly, really hard core/low level stuff) go for that, if you like applications level programming (games, programs like word or excel, etc.) go for that. A lot of the skills are transferable, so it doesn't matter much in the long run anyway.

2) Would you take Co-operative education if your school offered it with their engineering degree.
If you're planning to get a job out of school, it's a great way to pick up experience and get your foot in the door. It's very attractive in the current job market.

Now would it be wise to minor in say electrical, environmental, industrial etc while majoring in software. Or just take random electives like the ethical issues of science and technology, and other classes that are interesting?
Do what interests you. At the end of the day, grad schools look at your coursework and jobs only see the courses you list, so it doesn't matter much which way you choose. If you think you want to work in embedded systems, EE may be a good minor, but you'll pick up the relevant skills anyway if you end up in the field.

story645 said:
Depends on what you're interested in. If you like systems programming (C, assembly, really hard core/low level stuff) go for that, if you like applications level programming (games, programs like word or excel, etc.) go for that. A lot of the skills are transferable, so it doesn't matter much in the long run anyway.

If you're planning to get a job out of school, it's a great way to pick up experience and get your foot in the door. It's very attractive in the current job market.

Do what interests you. At the end of the day, grad schools look at your coursework and jobs only see the courses you list, so it doesn't matter much which way you choose. If you think you want to work in embedded systems, EE may be a good minor, but you'll pick up the relevant skills anyway if you end up in the field.

Thanks. So that does not mean with a Software Systems degree I would be unable to program "games, programs like word or excel, etc" ?

jordan123 said:
Thanks. So that does not mean with a Software Systems degree I would be unable to program "games, programs like word or excel, etc" ?
So long as you learn programming fundamentals, you can code just about anything. I'm just thinking that the degree probably won't be focused on those types of applications, though I don't know. Plenty of schools use the term "software systems" and "software" interchangeably. Look at the curriculum and see what types of courses they offer.

Traditionally systems programming is more focused on lower level stuff like writing OS's and hardware drivers and the like. It's got a hardware focus, whereas other software sits on top of the systems layer. But, if you know how to write a driver for a video card, your programming skills are probably solid enough that you can learn how to write a video game.

FAQ: What Can You Do with a Degree in Software Systems Engineering?

What is Software Systems Engineering?

Software Systems Engineering is the process of designing, developing, and maintaining software systems. It involves understanding user requirements, creating a design plan, writing code, and testing the software to ensure it meets the desired functionality and quality.

What are the key components of Software Systems Engineering?

The key components of Software Systems Engineering include requirements analysis, design and architecture, coding and implementation, testing and quality assurance, and maintenance and support. Each of these components plays a crucial role in the development and success of a software system.

What are the benefits of using Software Systems Engineering?

Using Software Systems Engineering allows for better organization and management of the software development process, which leads to higher quality and more efficient software systems. It also ensures that the software meets the needs and expectations of the end-users.

What are the common challenges faced in Software Systems Engineering?

Some common challenges in Software Systems Engineering include managing project scope and requirements, dealing with changing technology and tools, communication and collaboration among team members, and ensuring the software is reliable and secure.

How does Software Systems Engineering differ from other software development approaches?

Software Systems Engineering differs from traditional software development approaches by focusing on the entire system rather than just the individual components. It also emphasizes the importance of requirements analysis, design, and testing throughout the development process, rather than just at the end.