Soil mechanics-Triaxial test

• Thread starter wkh023002
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Soil Test
In summary, the triaxial test has three types - UU, CU, and CD tests - and the type used depends on how well it simulates field conditions. CD tests are generally used in design for sand due to its high permeability and rapid consolidation. In the case of a clay soil, consolidated drained tests may not be appropriate due to its impermeability. For an earth dam construction with a sudden drawdown condition, CD tests are recommended as they allow for fast drainage.
wkh023002
Soil mechanics--Triaxial test

Homework Statement

Generally, the triaxial tests can be classified as three types, i.e., UU, CU, and CD tests. The type of test to be adopted depends on how best we can simulate the field conditions. In other words, the purpose of carrying out a particular test is to simulate field conditions as far as possible. For example, because of the high permeability of sand, consolidation occurs relatively rapidly and is usually completed during the application of the load. Shear strength parameters from CD tests are therefore generally used in design. Consider the following two cases:
a) In what situations, results from CD tests for a clay soil can be used in design.
b) A Earth dam is to be constructed. The soil on the site is clay. The initial water level is at the ground surface. During the construction, the water level has to be lowered in a short time, so that construction can proceed. This condition is commonly known as “sudden drawdown”. What type of triaxial tests would you recommend to carry out, and why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know why Consolidated Drained test can be used to test clay. Clay is impermeable and drainage can take very long time to complete. Any situation would allow this happen?

As for b), i think CD test should be used. Since it drainage allows fast drawdown.
but I am not sure if it is correct.

Actually, I am poor at soil mechanics. I would like to seek your help on this question
I am always confused with the abstract concepts!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Replying so that this thread isn't a no-reply, as per Greg's wishes.
If anyone has knowledge on this subject, feel free to reply.

Clay is not a consolidated rock (at least not saturated clay), so, in my judgment, a consolidated drain test would not be appropriate.

What is a triaxial test in soil mechanics?

A triaxial test is a type of laboratory experiment used to determine the mechanical properties of soil. It involves applying different types of stresses to a cylindrical soil sample and measuring its response.

What are the three types of stresses applied in a triaxial test?

The three types of stresses applied in a triaxial test are axial stress (vertical stress applied from the top), radial stress (lateral stress applied from the sides), and confining stress (stress applied from all directions).

What are the main parameters measured in a triaxial test?

The main parameters measured in a triaxial test include the axial stress and strain, radial stress and strain, and the confining pressure. These parameters help determine the strength, stiffness, and deformation characteristics of the soil sample.

What is the purpose of conducting a triaxial test?

The purpose of conducting a triaxial test is to determine the mechanical properties of soil, such as its shear strength, stress-strain relationship, and deformation behavior. This information is crucial in designing foundations, retaining walls, and other structures that rely on soil stability.

What are the different types of triaxial tests?

The different types of triaxial tests include the unconsolidated-undrained (UU) test, consolidated-undrained (CU) test, and consolidated-drained (CD) test. Each type of test has its own specific procedure and is used to determine different properties of soil.