Which Sokal Affair Book is the Best?

• Thread starter mishima
  • Start date
In summary, there are several books available for reading about the Sokal Affair, including The Sokal Hoax, Intellectual Impostors, Fashionable Nonsense, and Beyond the Hoax. These books offer critiques on postmodernism and its impact on the intellectual world, with varying levels of repetition and additional content. Some readers may prefer the more focused approach of Fashionable Nonsense, while others may appreciate the expanded discussions in Beyond the Hoax. Ultimately, all of these books provide insights into the controversy surrounding the Sokal Affair and its implications on the academic community.
mishima
I wanted to read a book about the Sokal Affair, and see there are many options. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion one way or the other. Some options:

The Sokal Hoax, by lingua franca editors
Intellectual Impostors, by Sokal
Fashionable Nonsense, by Sokal
Beyond the Hoax, by Sokal

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you define something that is indefinable? That's sort of what postmodernism is, post being definable. Modernism was about structure and definiteness, postmodernism is about reaction and change, or I should say, pseudochange, change but without getting somewhere.

So take a bunch of intellectuals who write in this way and whatever they write about is going to be a load of rubbish, just for the reason that it doesn't have a conclusion. It is merely an experience, one of many.

My point is that you should not expect to get a clear critique of postmodernism, except as a bunch of people writing rubbish and journals that published it. Given the small scope of the subject, probably any book will be equally good.

First, note that Intellectual Impostures is just the UK title for Fashionable Nonsense, so there's no need to read both. Second, it was co-authored by Jean Bricmont, and it'd be rude to forget about him.

I've read Fashionable Nonsense and Beyond the Hoax. I enjoyed the latter less, since it was, though expanded, largely a repetition of the points made in the first book (but with annotations, hurrah...). I guess it depends on what you're after. Fashionable Nonsense seemed more to the point and arrived when it actually happened, while Beyond the Hoax arrived later and contains more responses to the critiques of the first book.

The Sokal Hoax seems to repeat (yet again) the original hoax article and the essay exposing the hoax. You can get these equally well in Sokal's two books, but this one also contains a lot of articles discussing how important the hoax was etc. Seemed tedious to me, and I didn't even try to find a copy.

What is the Sokal Affair?

The Sokal Affair refers to a publishing hoax in which physicist Alan Sokal submitted a fake academic paper to a cultural studies journal in order to expose what he saw as a lack of rigor and critical thinking in the field.

How many books have been written about the Sokal Affair?

There are currently three books that focus specifically on the Sokal Affair: Intellectual Impostures by Alan Sokal and Jean Bricmont, Beyond the Hoax by Alan Sokal, and Impostures Intellectuelles by Jean Bricmont and Alan Sokal (French edition).

Which book is the most popular and widely read?

The most popular and widely read book about the Sokal Affair is Intellectual Impostures by Alan Sokal and Jean Bricmont. It has been published in multiple languages and has received significant attention and praise from both academics and the general public.

What are the main criticisms of each book?

The main criticism of Intellectual Impostures is that it misrepresents and oversimplifies the work of postmodern thinkers, using selective quotes and out-of-context examples to support its argument. Beyond the Hoax has been criticized for being overly self-congratulatory and dismissive of opposing viewpoints. Impostures Intellectuelles has faced criticism for its use of personal attacks and its lack of engagement with the actual ideas and arguments of the postmodern writers it critiques.

Which book is the best for understanding the Sokal Affair and its implications?

Each book offers a unique perspective and has its own merits, so it is difficult to determine which one is the "best" for understanding the Sokal Affair. However, Beyond the Hoax provides a comprehensive overview of the events leading up to and following the publication of Sokal's hoax, while Intellectual Impostures delves more deeply into the philosophical and scientific issues at play. Ultimately, it is recommended to read multiple books on the subject to gain a well-rounded understanding of the Sokal Affair and its significance.