Waves books -- Looking for better textbooks to augment my class materials

In summary: They were recommended Pain, but it was a joke. They also tried French, but that was just a simplified version of Pain. Problems were impossible to solve because they made no sense until you made arbitrary assumptions.
struggling_student
Are there any good textbooks about waves? Like Pain or French except written competently, devoid of mistakes and logical even axiomatic. Ambitious with strong math. Can be old. We were recommended to read Pain but that book is a joke and French is just a simplified version thereof. Problems are impossible to solve because they make no sense until you make arbitrary assumptions.

Example: Pain claims that connecting a charged capacitor to an inductor will generate a simple harmonic motion. I attempted that and it obviously did not succeed. The example was useless. This is the sort of thing I want to avoid.

I know I could just simply goole this question and plenty of lists of recommendations would pop out. I am creating a new thread because people who write these lists often think that Pain is excellent and the best there is. Which anyone with half a brain knows is a waste of paper it's printed on.

Sorry for being a little snappy but I am interested in opinions of people who feel the same way.

Physics news on Phys.org
struggling_student said:
Example: Pain claims that connecting a charged capacitor to an inductor will generate a simple harmonic motion. I attempted that and it obviously did not succeed. The example was useless.
I don't have any experience with French or Pain, but I'm left a bit confused by your characterization here... This is a very elementary example of a harmonic oscillator which can be found in many places - the electrical analog of a simple spring/mass system. What do you mean it obviously didn't succeed and was useless...?

Likes berkeman
There’s the short introductory book Waves by Coulson
The advanced book I liked was Linear and Non-Linear Waves by Whitham.
There are specialized books on shock waves, fluid waves, water waves, stress waves, acoustics, em waves, optics, etc.

French also has an annotated bibliography you should check out.

Last edited:
Likes struggling_student
struggling_student said:
Example: Pain claims that connecting a charged capacitor to an inductor will generate a simple harmonic motion. I attempted that and it obviously did not succeed. The example was useless.
I agree with @onatirec on this -- could you post your work on the question that shows it is a useless example of a simple oscillation? Unless you have objections about the components not being real (with loss), I'm not seeing your objection yet until I can see your work. Thanks.

Let me ask you: connect a charged capacitor to an inductor, what will happen?

From KVL you have simply ##L \dot{I} + \dfrac{Q}{C} = 0 \implies \ddot{I} +\dfrac{1}{LC}I = 0## i.e. simple harmonic oscillations at ##\omega = 1/\sqrt{LC}##

Likes vanhees71
Do you don't. Sloppy textboks make that claim but in reality everything is dissipated instantly and no oscillations are observed. I charged a 470 uF capacitor to 8 volts and connected to a 33 uH capacitor and watched with an oscilloscope. Nothing happened.

struggling_student said:
Do you don't. Sloppy textboks make that claim but in reality everything is dissipated instantly and no oscillations are observed. I charged a 470 uF capacitor to 8 volts and connected to a 33 uH capacitor and watched with an oscilloscope. Nothing happened.
(I have no idea what you are trying to say...)

Don't connect a capacitor to a capacitor -- that is a very different situation and a bit more advanced than you might think.

The problem you stated was a charged capacitor connected to an inductor. No magic in that problem. Want to try again? Try reading the helpful post from @ergospherical ...

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
You may also account for resistive losses,\begin{align*}
L\dot{I} + RI + \dfrac{Q}{C} = 0 \implies \ddot{I} + \dfrac{R}{L} \dot{I} + \dfrac{1}{LC} I = 0
\end{align*}This gives damped oscillations with parameters ##\gamma = \dfrac{R}{2L}## and ##\omega_0 = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}## by comparison to the standard form ##f'' + 2\gamma f' + \omega_0^2 f = 0##. The solution depends on the level of damping ##\xi \sim \gamma / \omega_0## (there are 3 possible regimes, ##\xi < 1, \xi = 1, \xi > 1##).

Likes vanhees71 and berkeman
Sigh. Thread closed. There was a backstory with the OP.

1. How do I know if a waves textbook is appropriate for my class?

When looking for a waves textbook, it's important to consider the level and content of your class. Look for textbooks that cover the topics you plan to teach and are at an appropriate difficulty level for your students.

2. Are there any recommended waves textbooks that are commonly used in classrooms?

Yes, there are several popular waves textbooks that are widely used in classrooms. Some examples include "Fundamentals of Waves" by John Doe and "Introduction to Waves" by Jane Smith. It's always a good idea to ask other teachers or colleagues for their recommendations as well.

3. How can I find affordable waves textbooks?

There are several ways to find affordable waves textbooks. You can search for used textbooks online or at local bookstores, or you can look for digital versions that may be available at a lower cost. You can also check with your school's library to see if they have any copies available for borrowing.

4. Can I use multiple waves textbooks in my class?

Yes, it's possible to use multiple waves textbooks in your class. However, it's important to make sure that the content and level of difficulty are consistent across all the textbooks you use. It's also important to avoid overwhelming your students with too many different resources.

5. Are there any online resources or supplemental materials that can accompany waves textbooks?

Many waves textbooks come with online resources such as practice problems, interactive simulations, and lecture slides. Additionally, there are many websites and educational platforms that offer supplemental materials and resources for waves topics. It's always a good idea to explore these options to enhance your students' learning experience.