How Do You Calculate Mars' Theoretical Equilibrium Temperature?

In summary, the solar constant is the amount of energy absorbed by a planet per square meter, and the albedo is the amount of light energy absorbed by the atmosphere. To calculate the solar constant for Mars, the equation S = q*(R/Des)^2*^4 can be used, resulting in a value of 588.5 W/m^2. The theoretical equilibrium surface temperature for Mars can then be evaluated using the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which takes into account the incoming radiation from the sun and the outgoing radiation from the planet's surface. This calculation assumes that Mars has the same temperature everywhere. The value for the equilibrium surface temperature may not be accurate for Mars due to its varying surface temperatures.
coffeem
[SOLVED] Solar Constant Question?

Define Solar constant and Albedo of a planet. Calculate the solar constant for Mars and hence evaluate the theoretical equilibrium surface temperature. You may ignore the greenhouse effect in your calculations.

The sun has a temperature of 5777 k and a radius of 6.96 *10^5km. The sun-mars distancy is 2.28*10^8 km. The albedo of Mars is 0.16.

MY ANSWER

Ok I know that the solar constant is the mount of energy asorbed my a planet per m^2. And also that the albedo of a planet is the amount of light energy which is absobed (not reflected) by the atmosphere.

I can work out the Solar Constant using:

S = q*(R/Des)^2*^4

S = 588.5 W/m^2

But I have not idea of what is meant by the equilibrium surface temp or how I go about working this out. Any help would be apretiated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The solar constant is the sun's power per unit area on a planet, it is quoted as the top of atmosphere value so you don't have to take into account absorption - a planet with no atmosphere still has a solar constant !
Albedo is defined as the relative proprtion of light REFLECTED. albedo=0 is totally balck and albedo=1 is a perfect reflector.

The planet's surface reaches an equibrium temperature between the radiation incoming from the sun and re-radiating into space. So you need an equation telling you the amount of radiation given off by a surface at a certain temperature.
The incoming radiation from the sun must balance the outgoing radation if the planet is to stay at the same temperature - so you just need to work out what temperature this will occur at.

the equilibrium surface temperature is the temperature where the surface radiates as much infrared radiation as is received from the sun. This assumes that Mars has the same temperature everywhere. (so the number is pretty meaningless for mars) You have to take into account the albodo of the planet, and the fact that the surface area of Mars (4 pi r^2) is bigger than the area that collects sunlight (pi r^2)

mgb_phys said:
The solar constant is the sun's power per unit area on a planet, it is quoted as the top of atmosphere value so you don't have to take into account absorption - a planet with no atmosphere still has a solar constant !
Albedo is defined as the relative proprtion of light REFLECTED. albedo=0 is totally balck and albedo=1 is a perfect reflector.

The planet's surface reaches an equibrium temperature between the radiation incoming from the sun and re-radiating into space. So you need an equation telling you the amount of radiation given off by a surface at a certain temperature.
The incoming radiation from the sun must balance the outgoing radation if the planet is to stay at the same temperature - so you just need to work out what temperature this will occur at.

Hi. Thanks for everyone for being so helpful. I now know what I have to calculate but I do not know how to do so. I have seached my notes and cannot find an equation which does what you say... this is probably becasue I am being stupid though. Any chance you could give me a push in the right direction?

Actually I have worked it out. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
for anyone searching the question: see Stefan Bolztman law

What is the solar constant?

The solar constant, also known as the solar irradiance, is the amount of energy from the sun that reaches the Earth's atmosphere per unit time and unit area. It is measured at the outer edge of Earth's atmosphere, approximately 93 million miles away from the sun.

How is the solar constant calculated?

The solar constant is calculated by measuring the amount of solar energy that is received by a unit area of Earth's surface, known as a solar collector, over a specific period of time. This measurement is then divided by the area of the solar collector to determine the solar constant.

Is the solar constant constant?

Despite its name, the solar constant is not actually constant. It varies slightly depending on Earth's distance from the sun, changes in the sun's output, and variations in Earth's atmosphere. However, these variations are relatively small and the solar constant is considered to be a stable value over long periods of time.

What is the unit of measurement for the solar constant?

The solar constant is typically measured in watts per square meter (W/m²). This unit represents the amount of energy received per unit area and is commonly used in scientific calculations involving solar energy.

Why is the solar constant important?

The solar constant is important because it serves as a baseline for understanding the amount of solar energy that is received by Earth. It is also a key factor in understanding Earth's climate and weather patterns, as well as for the development and implementation of solar energy technologies.