Discovering the Solar Corona Luminosity Curve: Explained and Explored

In summary, the conversation discusses the curve for the solar corona luminosity vs distance and the actual equation for the curve. It is mentioned that the corona can be observed up to 4 solar radii and that the curve is approximately exponential. A resource, fig. 4 in http://www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~mkd/AndreHandout.pdf, is suggested to help with finding the equation. Based on the figure, it is estimated that the temperature difference in the corona is about 1,500,000 K and that the lowest value must be multiplied by 10 to reach the highest value. Using the equation [L=4π(R^2)σ(T^4)], it is concluded that the difference
Eleftheria
I've been trying to find out what's the curve for the solar corona luminosity vs distance like.
I know that the corona can be practically observed up to 4 solar radii. I also found out that the curve is more or less exponential but I need the actuall equation of the curve.

Can anyone help me?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Judging by that figure I assume that the difference in temperature (from the lowest to the highest value) for the corona is about 1 500 000 K (more or less), which means that the lowest value must be multiplied by 10 to reach the highest.
So, based on the equation that relates temperature and luminosity [L=4π(R^2)σ(T^4)] I guess the difference in luminosity (from the lowest to the highest value) can be found if we multiply the lowest values by 10^4.

Am I right?

1. What is the solar corona?

The solar corona is the outermost layer of the Sun's atmosphere, extending millions of kilometers into space. It is a highly dynamic and ionized gas region, with temperatures reaching millions of degrees.

2. How is the luminosity of the solar corona measured?

The luminosity of the solar corona is measured using a coronagraph, which is a specialized instrument that blocks out the bright light from the Sun's surface, allowing scientists to observe the faint light from the corona. This light is then measured using specialized detectors.

3. What causes the luminosity of the solar corona?

The luminosity of the solar corona is primarily caused by the heating of the plasma in the corona. This heating is thought to be a result of the Sun's magnetic field, which drives a process known as magnetic reconnection, converting magnetic energy into heat and kinetic energy in the plasma.

4. How does the luminosity of the solar corona vary?

The luminosity of the solar corona can vary greatly over time, with eruptions and other solar events causing changes in its appearance and brightness. It also varies with the solar cycle, with the corona being more active and luminous during periods of high solar activity.

5. What is the significance of the solar corona's luminosity?

The luminosity of the solar corona is important for understanding the Sun's magnetic activity and its effects on Earth and other planets. It also plays a role in space weather, as eruptions from the corona can cause disruptions to satellites and communication systems. Additionally, studying the solar corona's luminosity can provide insights into the physics of plasma and magnetic fields in extreme environments.