1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solar power maths

1. Jan 28, 2008 #1
    iam interested to know if there is any simpleish maths behind any form of solar power?

it can be undergraduate or end of high school level but i just want to know if there is anything out there that (doesnt have to be specific, it can be a theoretical and a bit off in measurement) can somewhat match the graduate level mathematics ive been reading about in the text books about solar energy.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Solar power? The sun delivers about 1 kW of power to each square meter of Earth, at noon, on the equator. That's really all you need to know.

- Warren
  4. Feb 3, 2008 #3
    thanks but i was after the maths in solar panels alternatively
    any suggestions?
  5. Feb 3, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not quite sure what your asking, chroot has given you the power per square meter, the rest is elementary mathematics which I'm sure your capable of if you've been reading graduate level texts.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?