Solenoid Question: Interlocking Coils & Back EMF

• Thread starter weatherlight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solenoid
In summary, when you connect inductors in parallel, their terminal voltages are constrained to be equal, so you can't drive one of them independently from the others. This can lead to a back-EMF in the first solenoid if there is a load connected to one or more of them.
weatherlight
Hi, I'm new to the forums, and I'm studying to be an aerospace engineer. I'm still in the start of my program, and I'm not in school till next semester, so this isn't for school.

My question is, what's the effect of interlocking coils that are slightly offset carrying a current in the same direction? Do they interfere with each other creating a back EMF?

I'm not sure how to attack this problem using the knowledge I have.

Engineering news on Phys.org
weatherlight said:
Hi, I'm new to the forums, and I'm studying to be an aerospace engineer. I'm still in the start of my program, and I'm not in school till next semester, so this isn't for school.

My question is, what's the effect of interlocking coils that are slightly offset carrying a current in the same direction? Do they interfere with each other creating a back EMF?

I'm not sure how to attack this problem using the knowledge I have.

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context of the question? Do you have a picture or figure that you can show us to help us understand the question?

It's just something I'm curious about.

I don't have any pics, but its like a ven diagram with 4 circles. The circles are the solenoids, they would pass through each other.

I'm wondering what a DC pulse through such a set up would do.

When I get all done with school, I'm interested in getting into field propulsion. Since I've had a lot of time to sit and think, I wondered what a pulse through intertwined solenoids would do. So far my classes haven't dealt with solenoids that weren't connected linearly in a circuit.

I know solenoids are used to create magnetic fields by passing a changing current through them. Would it be possible to make a system with them where they create a "thrust" (for lack of better term)? Do fields interact with the world in this way?

weatherlight said:
It's just something I'm curious about.

I don't have any pics, but its like a ven diagram with 4 circles. The circles are the solenoids, they would pass through each other.

I'm wondering what a DC pulse through such a set up would do.

When I get all done with school, I'm interested in getting into field propulsion. Since I've had a lot of time to sit and think, I wondered what a pulse through intertwined solenoids would do. So far my classes haven't dealt with solenoids that weren't connected linearly in a circuit.

I know solenoids are used to create magnetic fields by passing a changing current through them. Would it be possible to make a system with them where they create a "thrust" (for lack of better term)? Do fields interact with the world in this way?

There is the concept of "Mutual Inductance", which deals with how much flux from one coil couples through another coil:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_inductance#Mutual_inductance

To the extent that some of the flux from your driven solenoid is also coupling through the other solenoids, that will tend to induce a voltage in the other solenoids. If there is a load connected to one or more of them, then the current that flows in the other solenoids will create a back-EMF in the first solenoid.

What if all of them are wired parallel on the same circuit?

weatherlight said:
What if all of them are wired parallel on the same circuit?

You don't usually wire inductors in parallel. Why would you do that?

I'm curious as to what it would do, and if there's any uses to such a set up.

weatherlight said:
I'm curious as to what it would do, and if there's any uses to such a set up.

When you connect the inductors in parallel, that constrains their terminal voltages to be equal. You cannot then drive one of them independently from the others...

I know. I'm interested on what effect the entire apparatus would have in relation to the surrounding enviroment.

Like would a pulsing field oriented in one direction create a force capable of propelling... well, anything lol. Similar to creating thrust by expelling hot gases in a jet engine.

Last edited:
They have rail guns and ring guns that use electromagnetic induction to propel metal objects.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a type of electromagnet that consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a cylindrical core. When an electric current is passed through the wire, a magnetic field is created, which can be used to generate motion or force.

2. What is the purpose of interlocking coils in a solenoid?

Interlocking coils in a solenoid help to increase the strength and directionality of the magnetic field. By overlapping multiple coils, the magnetic field lines become more concentrated and aligned, making the solenoid more efficient and powerful.

3. What is back EMF in a solenoid?

Back EMF (electromotive force) is a phenomenon that occurs when the magnetic field created by the solenoid's coil induces an opposing voltage in the circuit. This can happen when the current flowing through the solenoid is suddenly interrupted or changed, and can potentially damage electronic components if not properly controlled.

4. How does back EMF affect the operation of a solenoid?

Back EMF can affect the operation of a solenoid by causing a delay in the time it takes for the solenoid to turn on or off. This is because the opposing voltage generated by back EMF must be overcome before the solenoid can function normally again. Additionally, if back EMF is not properly managed, it can cause voltage spikes that can damage electronic components.

5. How is back EMF controlled in a solenoid?

Back EMF can be controlled in a solenoid by using diodes, which allow the current to flow in one direction while blocking it in the opposite direction. By placing a diode in parallel with the solenoid's coil, back EMF can be redirected and dissipated, preventing voltage spikes and protecting electronic components.