1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solenoids and magnet shapes

1. Jul 29, 2009 #1
    Greetings,

The other day while working on my car I began thinking about solenoids and how they work, but I think I may have confused myself. It's been a while since I've studied magnetism, but I remember that the current through a wire loop, and thus a solenoid as well, is dependent on the change in magnetic flux through the cross-sectional area of the loop.

So, if you have a cylindrical magnet in the solenoid that is the same height as the solenoid and you pull it out, you should get a certain current through the solenoid wires. If instead you have a cylindrical magnet with the the same magnetic flux density as the first magnet, but much shorter than the height of the solenoid (so, basically a disk magnet), would it produce the same current if it traveled the length of the solenoid?

I thank the physics gods and all who give any thought to the questions that come from my feeble mind.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted