1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid formed by rotating equilateral triangle.

1. Mar 4, 2007 #1

Mo

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the surface area and volume of a solid formed by rotating an equilateral triangle of side a about its base.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

----------working out surface area--------
    Integral of 2.pi.y dx with limits of a and 0.
    I worked out; y = root3 . x
    therefore surface area = root3.pi.a^2.
    ------------------------------------------

---------volume of revolution---------------
    integral of pi.y^2. dx with limits of a and 0.
    y = root3.x
    therefore volume of solid formed = pi.a^3
    ------------------------------------------

I hope someone can check my answer to the first part (working out surface area) and then tell me where i went wrong with the volume of revolution.

The answer for the second part (volume of revolution) should be (pi.a^3)/4

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2007 #2
    Pretty close. The problem is with your equation y= sqrt(3) * x
    I was working out the problem myself and was going to use symmetry, integrating from 0 to a/2, and multiply the answer by 2. This is when I noticed that your equation for y only works for values of x from 0 to a/2. i.e. the angle remains 60 degrees, and x keeps increasing. However, after a/2, the value of y starts decreasing.

4. Mar 4, 2007 #3

Mo

Yes, thats true. So now i have worked out the value of surface area for half of the triangle and found that to be (pi.root3.a^2)/4

For the whole triangle, this value ahs to be multiplied by 2 surely?. Therefore final answer = (pi.root3.a^2)/2

The thing is, the answer i got given for this (first) part of the question was (pi.root3.a^2).

What else am i misssing in the solution?

Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?