1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid-State and molecular physics; allowed energy states

1. Jan 20, 2014 #1
    When two objects move under the influence of their mutual force alone, we can treat the relative motion as a one-particle system of mass μ=m1m2/(m1+m2). An object of mass m2and charge -e orbits an object of mass m1 and charge +Ze. By appropriate substitutions into formulas given in the chapter, show that a) the allowed energies are : (Z2μ/m)E1/n2, where E1 is the hydrogen ground state, and b) the "bohr radius" for this system is (m/Zμ)a0, where a0 is the hyrogen bohr radius

2. Relevant equations

En= -me4/2(4πε0)2hbar2(1/n2); n=1,2,3....

L=[itex]\sqrt{l(l+1)}[/itex]hbar

Lz=mLhbar ; mL=...-2,-1,0,1,2,...

-hbar2/2m(∇2ψ(r) + U(r)ψ(r)= Eψ(r)

U(r)= -1/(4πε0)(Ze)(e)/r ---->
    En= - me4Z2/2(4πε0)2hbar2*(1/n2)

NOTE: hbar= plancs constant divided by 2 pi.

3. The attempt at a solution

Im at a standstill just starting this problem, i know its a long shot asking for help. But if anyone looks at this and has an idea it would be greatly appreciated. Just looking and playing around with substitution i did not get anything close... even some insight or ideas would be great thanks.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?