Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Quantum Energy levels in atomic, molecular, nuclear and solid state physics

1. Aug 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Greetings everyone

I have been been asked to write a 10 page essay on Quantum Energy levels in atomic, molecular, nuclear and solid state physics. My problem is that this is such a huge topic and my knowledge of quantum energy levels and solid state physics is limited.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

In my initial planning i decided to start by explaining the particle in the box model as a basis and used Schrödinger wave equation and related the wave equation to the energy. From there i planned on using Bohr theory and De Broglie's explaining of standing waves to derive energy equations in atomic physics. For nuclear energies i planned on writing on the various nuclear models (shell model for example) and i'm trying to work in something about the yakawa potential. I'm a bit unsure on what to write about for molecular and solid state physics. Can anyone through around some ideas for me or recommend a good book . My thanks
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2010 #2
    You can look up HOMO and LUMO gaps for molecular physics and bandgaps for solid state. Also, the s and p orbitals from atomic physics are used quite a bit in molecular physics through hybridization.

But this is a very broad subject. Probably way too much for 10 pages.

4. Aug 13, 2010 #3
    Thanks, Your Advice has been a great help

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook