1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Quantum Energy levels in atomic, molecular, nuclear and solid state physics

1. Aug 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Greetings everyone

I have been been asked to write a 10 page essay on Quantum Energy levels in atomic, molecular, nuclear and solid state physics. My problem is that this is such a huge topic and my knowledge of quantum energy levels and solid state physics is limited.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

In my initial planning i decided to start by explaining the particle in the box model as a basis and used Schrödinger wave equation and related the wave equation to the energy. From there i planned on using Bohr theory and De Broglie's explaining of standing waves to derive energy equations in atomic physics. For nuclear energies i planned on writing on the various nuclear models (shell model for example) and i'm trying to work in something about the yakawa potential. I'm a bit unsure on what to write about for molecular and solid state physics. Can anyone through around some ideas for me or recommend a good book . My thanks
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2010 #2
    You can look up HOMO and LUMO gaps for molecular physics and bandgaps for solid state. Also, the s and p orbitals from atomic physics are used quite a bit in molecular physics through hybridization.

But this is a very broad subject. Probably way too much for 10 pages.

4. Aug 13, 2010 #3
    Thanks, Your Advice has been a great help

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook