1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution of non-linear set of equations

1. Aug 6, 2009 #1
    Hi

Consider a set of n non-linear equations and I have m unknowns and n<m, so I don't have enough equations to solve the problem. All the unknowns are parametrized by say t

A possible solution to this that I considered was to take the derivative w.r.t. t and obtain another set of n equations, if 2n > m then I have more equations than unknowns and I these can be solved.

Now will this work?

cheers

M

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you consider the derivatives as well, you get 2n equation is 2m unknowns. Since the derivatives are unknown as well.

4. Aug 6, 2009 #3
    Sorry I was not clear the equations are really differential equations but I dont want a solution for all t just for 1 so i'm treating each derivative as an unknown. So I have
    [tex]f_i(x_i(t),x_i'(t),x_i''(t)...) = 0[/tex] it is possible to have 2n>m+1, if not I just take extra derivatives until it is. Will this work or have I 'cheated'?

cheers

M

5. Aug 6, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe if you more specific in the problem you are actually trying solve we could help more. But you can't magically solve an under-determined system by taking derivatives.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook