Solution of non-linear set of equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a possible solution for solving a set of n non-linear equations with m unknowns, where n is less than m. The solution involves taking derivatives to obtain another set of equations with more unknowns. However, the effectiveness of this method is questioned and further clarification on the problem at hand is needed.
mtak0114
Hi

Consider a set of n non-linear equations and I have m unknowns and n<m, so I don't have enough equations to solve the problem. All the unknowns are parametrized by say t

A possible solution to this that I considered was to take the derivative w.r.t. t and obtain another set of n equations, if 2n > m then I have more equations than unknowns and I these can be solved.

Now will this work?

cheers

M

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you consider the derivatives as well, you get 2n equation is 2m unknowns. Since the derivatives are unknown as well.

Sorry I was not clear the equations are really differential equations but I don't want a solution for all t just for 1 so I'm treating each derivative as an unknown. So I have
[tex]f_i(x_i(t),x_i'(t),x_i''(t)...) = 0[/tex] it is possible to have 2n>m+1, if not I just take extra derivatives until it is. Will this work or have I 'cheated'?

cheers

M

Maybe if you more specific in the problem you are actually trying solve we could help more. But you can't magically solve an under-determined system by taking derivatives.

What is a non-linear set of equations?

A non-linear set of equations is a group of equations in which at least one variable is raised to a power other than one, such as squared or cubed. This type of set of equations does not have a linear relationship between the variables.

Why is solving a non-linear set of equations more difficult than solving a linear set of equations?

Non-linear equations can have multiple solutions, making it more difficult to find the exact solution. It also requires more complex mathematical techniques, such as iteration or substitution, to solve.

What are some common methods for solving non-linear equations?

Some common methods include Newton's method, bisection method, and the secant method. These methods involve using iterative calculations to approach the solution.

Can non-linear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, non-linear equations can have multiple solutions. This is because there may be multiple points where the equations intersect or where the equations have the same value.

How can I check if my solution for a non-linear set of equations is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can substitute the values into the original equations and see if they satisfy all of the equations simultaneously. You can also graph the equations and see if the points of intersection match your solution.