Solution of Periodic ODE with Floquet Theory

In summary, by using Floquet Theory, we can show that the solution to the scalar linear ODE with periodic coefficients is of the form $x(t) = x_0e^{\mu t}p(t)$ where $\mu$ and $x_0$ are constants and $p(t)$ is a $T$-periodic function. This is proven by expanding $a(t)$ into a power series, equating coefficients to find $\mu$, and using the fact that $a(t)$ is periodic to show that $p(t)$ is also $T$-periodic. Additionally, we can use separation of variables to find the solution in the form $x(t) = x_0e^{\int a
Dustinsfl
For the scalar linear ODE with periodic coefficients,
$$
x' = a(t)x,\quad\quad a(t + T) = a(t),
$$
show that the solution is of the form
$$
x(t) = x_0e^{\mu t}p(t),
$$
where $\mu$ and $x_0$ are constants, and $p(t)$ is a $T$-periodic function.

How can I show the solution is of the form mentioned? Can I just say by Floquet Theory, the solution is of the form $X(t) = \sum\limits_{n=1}^{n}c_nx_n(t)$ where $x_n(t) = e^{\mu_nt}p_n(t)$ but then how do I get the $x_0$ for $c_1$?
By Floquet Theory, we can define $X_k = X(t)v_k$.Suppose $Bv_k = \lambda_kv_k$.
$$
X_k(t + T) = X(t + T)v_k = X(t)Bv_k = X(t)\lambda_kv_k = \lambda_kX(t)v_k = \lambda_kX_k(t)
$$
Let $\underbrace{\lambda_k}_{\text{characteristic multipliers}} = \text{exp}\left[\overbrace{\rho_k}^{\text{characteristic exponents}}T\right]$.
Define $p_k(t) = \frac{X_k(t)}{e^{\rho_k t}}$.
Then
\begin{alignat*}{3}
p_k(t + T) & = & \frac{X_k(t + T)}{\text{exp}\left[\rho_k(t + T)\right]}\\
& = & \frac{\lambda_kX_k(t)}{\text{exp}\left[\rho_k(t + T)\right]}\\
& = & \frac{\lambda_kX_k(t)}{\lambda_k\text{exp}\left[\rho_kt\right]}\\
& = & \frac{X_k(t)}{\text{exp}\left[\rho_kt\right]}\\
& = & p_k(t)
\end{alignat*}
Thus $p(t)$ is T periodic.

Since $x_0 = x(0)$ is an initial condition, can I just say that is why it is constant. What about $\mu$?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If x is one dimensional then by separation of variables you get:

[tex]x(t)=x_0 e^{\int a(t) dt}[/tex]

Now if you can expand a(t) to power series around 0 (which is not given in your premise), then

a(t) = a(0)+ a'(0)t + a''(0)t^2/2!+...

a(T)=a(0)=\mu

you'll get one part of exp(\mu t) and the other part is
[tex] p(t)=e^{a'(0)t^2/2+a''(0)t^3/6+...}[/tex]

[tex]p'(t)=p(t) (a(t)-a(0))=p(t)(a(t)-a(T))[/tex]

plug t-> t+T to get:
[tex]p'(t+T)=0[/tex]
i.e [tex]p(t+T)=const[/tex]

And this I believe finishes the proof, but it's not general without assuming something on our 'a'.

Alan said:
If x is one dimensional then by separation of variables you get:

[tex]x(t)=x_0 e^{\int a(t) dt}[/tex]

Now if you can expand a(t) to power series around 0 (which is not given in your premise), then

a(t) = a(0)+ a'(0)t + a''(0)t^2/2!+...

a(T)=a(0)=\mu

you'll get one part of exp(\mu t) and the other part is
[tex] p(t)=e^{a'(0)t^2/2+a''(0)t^3/6+...}[/tex]

plug t-> t+T to get:
[tex]p'(t+T)=0[/tex]

And this I believe finishes the proof, but it's not general without assuming something on our 'a'.

By separation of variables, we have that $\int\frac{\dot{x}}{x}dx = \int a(t)dt$.
Solving the integral leads too
$$
x = C\exp\left[\int a(t)dt\right].
$$
Let's expand the the Taylor series of $a(t)$ about 0.
$$
a(0) = a(0) + a'(0)t + \frac{a''(0)t^2}{2} + \cdots
$$
Since $a(t)$ is periodic with period $T$, we have $a(T) = a(0) = \mu$.
By substitution, we have
\begin{alignat*}{3}
x(0) & = & C\exp\left[\int \mu dt\right]\\
& = & Ce^{\mu t}
& = & C = x_0
\end{alignat*}
Therefore, we have $x(t) = x_0e^{\mu t}$

But why is p(t) multiplied by x? How do we go from the x above to saying it is $x(t) = x_0e^{\mu t}p(t)$

The solution is
[tex] x(t)=x_0 e^{a(T)t} e^{a'(0)t^2/2+a''(0)t^3/6+...}[/tex]

Denote by p(t) the third factor, you can see that it satisfies:

[tex]p'(t)=p(t)(a(t)-a(0))[/tex]
So you get that p'(T)=0, and this is true for any m integer that p'(mT)=0, thus p(t+T)=p(t).

Alan said:
The solution is
[tex] x(t)=x_0 e^{a(T)t} e^{a'(0)t^2/2+a''(0)t^3/6+...}[/tex]

Denote by p(t) the third factor, you can see that it satisfies:

So you get that p'(T)=0, and this is true for any m integer that p'(mT)=0, thus p(t+T)=p(t).

How do you go from
$$
\exp\left[a(t + T)\right]
$$
to
$$
e^{a(T)t} e^{a'(0)t^2/2+a''(0)t^3/6+...}
$$

You have [tex]x(t)=x_0 e^{\int a(t)dt}[/tex]

I assumed that I can expand a(t) by a power series (I don't see how to show this otherwise), so a(t)=a(0)+a'(0)t+a''(0)t^2/2!+... and a(0)=a(T) from T-periodicity of a(t), plug back to the integral to get what I wrote.

If I can't expand a(t) with a powers series then I am not sure how to solve this.

Alan said:
You have [tex]x(t)=x_0 e^{\int a(t)dt}[/tex]

I assumed that I can expand a(t) by a power series (I don't see how to show this otherwise), so a(t)=a(0)+a'(0)t+a''(0)t^2/2!+... and a(0)=a(T) from T-periodicity of a(t), plug back to the integral to get what I wrote.

If I can't expand a(t) with a powers series then I am not sure how to solve this.

So $p(t) = \exp\left[\int\left(a'(0)t + \frac{a''(0)t^2}{2} + \cdots\right)dt\right]$ is defined this way?

Alan said:

Ok so I understand p(t) now. Why are you taking the derivative of p(t) to show it is T-periodic?

Alan said:

plug t-> t+T to get:
[tex]p'(t+T)=0[/tex]

I don't get this part.

This is all wrong. Is there another way to do this?
What I wrote original comes from Floquet. Is it enough to just say what I was doing in post 1?

Hello, I am a phd student in Romania and I have to study Floquet Theory. I need some help with documentation and research. Do you have any? Appreciate your help

do you think i could apply this floquet theory in economics?

Raluca said:
do you think i could apply this floquet theory in economics?

This is just the mathematics about it so you should be able to since the ecnomic version is probably built off of the math.

Related to Solution of Periodic ODE with Floquet Theory

What is Floquet Theory and why is it used to solve periodic ODEs?

Floquet Theory is a mathematical approach used to solve periodic ordinary differential equations (ODEs). It involves transforming the original ODE into a matrix form and then using the properties of the matrix to find the solution. Floquet Theory is particularly useful for solving periodic ODEs because it takes into account the periodic nature of the problem, allowing for a more accurate and efficient solution.

What is the difference between Floquet Theory and other methods of solving ODEs?

The main difference between Floquet Theory and other methods of solving ODEs is that it takes into account the periodicity of the problem. Other methods, such as the Runge-Kutta method, do not consider the periodicity and may not provide an accurate solution for periodic ODEs. Floquet Theory is also more efficient in solving periodic ODEs compared to other methods.

What are the advantages of using Floquet Theory to solve periodic ODEs?

One of the main advantages of using Floquet Theory is its ability to accurately solve periodic ODEs. It also takes into account the periodicity of the problem, which is important in many scientific and engineering applications. Additionally, Floquet Theory is a well-established and widely used method, making it a reliable choice for solving periodic ODEs.

What are the limitations of Floquet Theory?

While Floquet Theory is a powerful method for solving periodic ODEs, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it can only be applied to linear ODEs. It also requires the ODE to have a periodic coefficient matrix, which may not always be the case in real-world problems. Additionally, Floquet Theory may become computationally expensive for large systems of ODEs.

What are some real-world applications of Floquet Theory?

Floquet Theory has many applications in various fields of science and engineering. It is commonly used in the study of oscillatory systems, such as mechanical vibrations and electrical circuits. It is also used in the analysis of celestial mechanics, such as the motion of planets and satellites. In addition, Floquet Theory has applications in the study of chemical reactions, biological oscillators, and other periodic phenomena.