Solution of the 1D heat equation

In summary, the author solved for the voltage required to heat a thin film from room temperature to a desired temperature by using boundary conditions and an initial condition.
Betsy
$$\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}=\alpha\frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial^2 t}$$

with an initial condition and boundary conditions
$$T(x,0)=T_0$$
$$T(L,t)=T_0$$
$$-k\left.\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\right|_{x=0}=2A\cos^2\left(\frac{\omega t}{2}\right)=A(\cos\omega t+1)$$

where $A=V_0^2/(8RhL)$, $V_0$ is the voltage applied to the heater, R the electrical resistance of the heater, h the thickness of the thin film, $\alpha$ the thermal diffusivity of the thin film, and $\omega/2$ the heating frequency. The solution for this problem is

$$T(x,t)-T_0=\frac Ak\sqrt{\frac\alpha\omega}\exp\left (-\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2\alpha}}x\right)\\ \times\cos\left(\omega t-\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2\alpha}}x-\frac\pi4\right)-\frac Ak(x-L)$$I got this from a paper. I'm trying to derive how the author came to the solution from the boundary conditions. There is no derivation in the paper, and I searched books and the internet thoroughly but couldn't find anything. I attached the solution I'm getting. But I don't think it's correct! Any help regarding where I'm doing wrong will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Solution of 1D_problem.pdf
    85.4 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That solution does not satisfy the boundary condition at x=L.

Orodruin said:
That solution does not satisfy the boundary condition at x=L.
But it was published in a good journal by a very renowned professor (now). They must have some logic behind it which is unfortunately not mentioned in the paper.

Betsy said:
But it was published in a good journal by a very renowned professor (now).
Can you provide a link to the paper in the journal? Your PDF attachment does not include the beginning of the paper with that information. Thanks. :smile:

Betsy said:
From the sentence below the solution, it is said that the B.C. is reasonably well satisfied because A approaches 0 for the experimental parameters chosen.
And indeed if A equals 0, you do get the B.C. satisfied.

Like I told you in the other forum that you and I have been interacting in, the authors of this article implicitly assume that the oscillatory part of the solution damps out before it reaches x = L. The condition for this to happen is ##\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2\alpha}}L>>0##.

In your analysis, Eqn. 17 is incorrect. It should read (based on the above assumption), $$a(x)=C_1\exp{\left(-\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2\alpha}}x\right)}\cos{\left(\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2\alpha}}x\right)}+C_2\exp{\left(-\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2\alpha}}x\right)}\sin{\left(\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2\alpha}}x\right)}$$
You are missing factors of 2 in the denominators of the square root terms in your expression.

To obtain b(x), you substitute this corrected form of Eqn. 17 into your Eqn. 14. What do you obtain?

Likes BvU
Maybe it would help also if I told you that the four roots of of ##x^4=-1## are
$$x=\frac{1+i}{\sqrt{2}}$$
$$x=\frac{-1+i}{\sqrt{2}}$$
$$x=\frac{-1-i}{\sqrt{2}}$$
and $$x=\frac{1-i}{\sqrt{2}}$$
This is where the ##\sqrt{2}## comes from in the correct form of Eqn. 17.

In a previous post, I indicated that the solution for a(x) is $$a(x)=C_1\exp{\left(-\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2\alpha}}x\right)}\cos{\left(\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2\alpha}}x\right)}+C_2\exp{\left(-\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2\alpha}}x\right)}\sin{\left(\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2\alpha}}x\right)}$$
If I substitute this into your Eqn. 14, I obtain: $$b(x)=C_1\exp{\left(-\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2\alpha}}x\right)}\sin{\left(\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2\alpha}}x\right)}-C_2\exp{\left(-\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2\alpha}}x\right)}\cos{\left(\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2\alpha}}x\right)}$$But, applying the boundary condition on b(x) at x = 0, we have that ##C_2=0##. This means that $$a(x)=C_1\exp{\left(-\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2\alpha}}x\right)}\cos{\left(\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2\alpha}}x\right)}$$ and $$b(x)=C_1\exp{\left(-\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2\alpha}}x\right)}\sin{\left(\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2\alpha}}x\right)}$$
In your Eqn. 11, you have the wrong sign on A/k. You got to do the math correctly.

1. What is the 1D heat equation?

The 1D heat equation is a mathematical model that describes the flow of heat in a one-dimensional system. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to study the behavior of temperature in various systems.

2. What are the variables in the 1D heat equation?

The variables in the 1D heat equation include time, temperature, and position along the one-dimensional system. These variables are typically represented by the symbols t, T, and x, respectively.

3. How is the 1D heat equation solved?

The 1D heat equation is solved using various techniques, including separation of variables, Fourier series, and numerical methods. The specific method used depends on the boundary conditions and initial conditions of the system.

4. What are the applications of the 1D heat equation?

The 1D heat equation has many practical applications, such as predicting the temperature distribution in a metal rod, analyzing the cooling of a hot object, and understanding heat transfer in buildings. It is also used in fields like geophysics, meteorology, and materials science.

5. What are the limitations of the 1D heat equation?

The 1D heat equation assumes that heat transfer occurs only in one direction and that the temperature is only dependent on time and position. This makes it unsuitable for systems with complex geometries or where heat transfer occurs in multiple directions. It also does not account for factors like convection and radiation, which can significantly impact the temperature distribution in some systems.