Solution to the Klein Gordon Equation

In summary, the conversation revolved around the general solution for the Klein Gordon equation, which was given as ψ(r,t)= e^i(kr-ωt) under certain constraints. One person asked if the solution was valid and mentioned their confusion about the imaginary term in the de Moivre formula when calculating probability. Another person clarified that the correct way to calculate probability is ψ*ψ, not ψ2. The conversation ended with gratitude for the clarification.
benk99nenm312
Hey guys, I was reading up on the Klein Gordon equation and I came across an article that gave a general solution as: [tex]\psi[/tex](r,t)= e^i(kr-[tex]\omega[/tex]t), under the constraint that -k^2 + [tex]\omega[/tex]^2/c^2 = m^2c^2/[tex]\hbar[/tex]^2, forgive my lack of latex hah.

Through Euler's law this does give a solution tantamount to cos(kr-[tex]\omega[/tex]t)+isin(kr-[tex]\omega[/tex]t).

My question is simply.. is this valid? I ask because if you were to integrate the square over an interval you should get a probability, however the imaginary term will carry through from the de Moivre formula. I'm terribly confused.

Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
hey benk99nenm312! :smile:
benk99nenm312 said:
… if you were to integrate the square over an interval you should get a probability, however the imaginary term will carry through from the de Moivre formula. I'm terribly confused.

no, the probability is ψ*ψ, not ψ2 :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hey benk99nenm312! :smile:

no, the probability is ψ*ψ, not ψ2 :wink:

Omg wowww, lol. Thank you hah.

1. What is the Klein Gordon Equation?

The Klein Gordon Equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of scalar particles, such as the Higgs boson, in quantum field theory.

2. What is the significance of finding a solution to the Klein Gordon Equation?

Finding a solution to the Klein Gordon Equation is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior and properties of scalar particles, which are essential in understanding the fundamental forces and structure of the universe.

3. How is the Klein Gordon Equation solved?

The Klein Gordon Equation can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, Fourier transforms, and numerical methods.

4. What are the applications of the solution to the Klein Gordon Equation?

The solution to the Klein Gordon Equation has various applications in physics, including particle physics, quantum field theory, and cosmology. It also has practical applications in technology, such as in the development of advanced medical imaging techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to the solution of the Klein Gordon Equation?

While the Klein Gordon Equation is a fundamental equation in physics, it does have limitations. It does not account for the effects of gravity and does not always accurately describe the behavior of particles with spin. In some cases, it also predicts negative probabilities, which goes against the principles of quantum mechanics.