Solving Sinx Equations for 0 ≤ x ≤ π/2: Proofs and Solutions

• Thread starter axmls
  • Start date
In summary, for part (a), using the intermediate value theorem and the fact that the function f(x) = sinx + sin^2x is strictly increasing on the interval [0, π/2], we can show that there exists exactly one real solution to the equation sinx + sin^2x = 1 for 0 ≤ x ≤ π/2. For part (b), we can use a similar approach, showing that f(x) = sinx + sin^n x is also strictly increasing on the same interval, leading to the conclusion that there exists exactly one real solution for every n ∈ N.
axmls
Note: This is not homework. This is from a monthly math challenge that my university offers. This particular question is past its due date, and I'm discovering it late. I'm an engineering student who's fascinated by math and wants to give problems from the math department a shot (though I have no idea if I even have the tools to solve some of these, as I've only just finished Calc II).

Homework Statement

(a) Show that there exists exactly one real solution of [itex] sinx +sin^2x = 1[/itex] for [itex]
0 ≤ x ≤ π/2 [/itex]

(b) Show that for each n ∈ N there exists exactly one real solution of
[itex]sin x + (sin^n x) = 1[/itex] for [itex] 0 ≤ x ≤ π/2[/itex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I've never really had to use proofs in my math classes so far. I assume I'll need the intermediate value theorem.

For part (a), we see that [itex]sin(0) + sin^2(0) = 0 < 1[/itex] and that
[itex]sin(π/2) + sin^2(π/2) = 1 + 1 = 2 > 1[/itex]. Since [itex]f(x) = sinx + sin^2x[/itex] is continuous for all x, and since [itex]f(0) < 1 < f(π/2)[/itex], there must exist some c ∈ [0, π/2] such that f(c) = 1. This would be good I believe if it weren't for the condition that there is exactly one real solution, which the intermediate value theorem wouldn't be able to let us know. Am I approaching this wrong? Help would be appreciated (as I don't have any background in writing proofs).

Part (b) I feel encounters the same difficulty.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
axmls said:
For part (a), we see that [itex]sin(0) + sin^2(0) = 0 < 1[/itex] and that
[itex]sin(π/2) + sin^2(π/2) = 1 + 1 = 2 > 1[/itex]. Since [itex]f(x) = sinx + sin^2x[/itex] is continuous for all x, and since [itex]f(0) < 1 < f(π/2)[/itex], there must exist some c ∈ [0, π/2] such that f(c) = 1. This would be good I believe if it weren't for the condition that there is exactly one real solution, which the intermediate value theorem wouldn't be able to let us know.
Quite so.
One way: Suppose there are two solutions. That allows you to write down two equations. Can you see how to combine the two equations in an interesting way? Any factorisation?
Another way: solve the quadratic equation. Rule out one of the two solutions based on the range of x.
Either way, you can reduce it the problem of showing that sin(x) is strictly monotonic over that range.

So is it only necessary to show that the function is monotonic on the interval [0, π/2]?

For instance, I could say ##f(x) = sin(x) + sin^2(x)##
Then ##f'(x) = cos(x) + 2sin(x)cos(x) = cos(x) + sin(2x)##

Since ##cos(x) ≥ 0## on ##[0, π/2]## and ##sin(2x) ≥ 0## on ##[0, π/2]##, then
##cos(x) + sin(2x) ≥ 0## on ## [0, π/2]##, which means ##f## is strictly increasing on the interval ##[0, π/2]##, and therefore there's only one solution to the equation
##sin(x) + sin^2(x) = 1## (the solution being the one that is shown to exist by the intermediate value theorem).

Would this be a sufficient proof for part (a)?

axmls said:
So is it only necessary to show that the function is monotonic on the interval [0, π/2]?

For instance, I could say ##f(x) = sin(x) + sin^2(x)##
Then ##f'(x) = cos(x) + 2sin(x)cos(x) = cos(x) + sin(2x)##

Since ##cos(x) ≥ 0## on ##[0, π/2]## and ##sin(2x) ≥ 0## on ##[0, π/2]##, then
##cos(x) + sin(2x) ≥ 0## on ## [0, π/2]##, which means ##f## is strictly increasing on the interval ##[0, π/2]##, and therefore there's only one solution to the equation
##sin(x) + sin^2(x) = 1## (the solution being the one that is shown to exist by the intermediate value theorem).

Would this be a sufficient proof for part (a)?
Yes, I think that's fine.
It's often tricky having to guess what properties you're allowed to assume. You're not being given a definition of sin(x) to work from. Knowing the derivative is a relatively advanced fact, so it might be better to avoid it, but it's probably ok here.

1. What is a solution to an equation?

A solution to an equation is a value or set of values that make the equation true when substituted into the variable(s).

2. How do you find the solution to an equation?

To find the solution to an equation, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the variable and solve for its value.

3. Can an equation have more than one solution?

Yes, an equation can have more than one solution. This is especially true for equations with multiple variables or higher degree equations. Each solution represents a different value or set of values that make the equation true.

4. What if an equation has no solution?

If an equation has no solution, it means that there is no value or set of values that can make the equation true. This could be due to a mistake in the equation or an inconsistent system of equations.

5. How can solutions to equations be applied in real life?

Solutions to equations are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and finance to solve problems and make predictions. For example, in finance, solutions to equations can be used to calculate interest rates or determine optimal investment strategies.