1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solutions to Differential equations

1. Oct 7, 2012 #1
    I'm taking my first ODE course, and I'm unsure what is meant in this question when it asks "Solve the following differential equation" (I have a list of DEs to solve). Some of them are really messy and I can't figure out an implicit solution. Would an explicit solution be acceptable?

Example:

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{x}{x^2y+y^3}[/itex]

Since this isn't an exact equation, I transform it and find the integrating factor

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}(x^2y+y^3) - x = 0 [/itex]

and setting the partials [itex]\frac{∂}{∂x}N(x,y)μ(x) = \frac{∂}{∂y}M(x,y)μ(x) [/itex]

I get [itex]μ(x) = \frac{1}{x^2+y^2}[/itex]

I thought the integrating factor was supposed to be only a function of x, I may have made a mistake there.

Then I take [itex] \frac{∂}{∂y}\int M(x,y)μ(x) dx [/itex]

and I find [itex]f(x,y)=C=\frac{x^2+y^2}{2} - ln(x^2+y^2)[/itex]

This just doesn't look right, I feel like I'm using the wrong method. Can someone clear this up for me please?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2012 #2
    First convert it to:

[tex]Mdx+Ndy=0[/tex]

You can do that. I get:

[tex]xdx-(x^2 y+y^3)dy=0[/tex]

Now compute:

[tex]\mu=\frac{1}{M}\left(\frac{\partial M}{\partial y}-\frac{\partial N}{\partial x}\right)[/tex]

I get [itex]\mu=2y[/itex] but I did that quick so double-check it. Therefore, the integrating factor is:

[tex]e^{-\int \mu dy}[/tex]

Now apply that integrating factor to the DE and solve it as an exact DE. And to "solve" a DE is to find a function y(x) for example, which when substituted into the DE, satisfies the expression.

4. Oct 7, 2012 #3
    Yes that's right, but I was under the impression the integrating factor would be a function of x, seeing as when we assume ∂μ/∂y = 0, this would be false if μ = 2y, and consequently fail to make the equation exact. So can the integrating factor be a function of y, or even both x and y?

5. Oct 8, 2012 #4
    Yes, integrating factor can be a function of x and y for example:

[tex]y(x^3-y) dx-x(x^3+y)dy=0[/tex]

the integrating factor is [itex]\frac{1}{yx^2}[/itex]

Find "Differential Equations" by Rainville and Bedient. Good book I think.

6. Oct 8, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Generally speaking, "implicit" solutions cannot be written as explicit functions of x. Whether your instructor will accept such solutions even when, by trying a little harder, you could have found an explicit function, you will have to ask your instructor!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook