Solutions to Differential equations

In summary, the conversation discusses solving differential equations and the confusion over implicit and explicit solutions. The process of finding an integrating factor is also mentioned. The question of whether an explicit solution is acceptable is raised, and a book recommendation is given.
Locoism
I'm taking my first ODE course, and I'm unsure what is meant in this question when it asks "Solve the following differential equation" (I have a list of DEs to solve). Some of them are really messy and I can't figure out an implicit solution. Would an explicit solution be acceptable?

Example:

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{x}{x^2y+y^3}[/itex]

Since this isn't an exact equation, I transform it and find the integrating factor

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}(x^2y+y^3) - x = 0 [/itex]

and setting the partials [itex]\frac{∂}{∂x}N(x,y)μ(x) = \frac{∂}{∂y}M(x,y)μ(x) [/itex]

I get [itex]μ(x) = \frac{1}{x^2+y^2}[/itex]

I thought the integrating factor was supposed to be only a function of x, I may have made a mistake there.

Then I take [itex] \frac{∂}{∂y}\int M(x,y)μ(x) dx [/itex]

and I find [itex]f(x,y)=C=\frac{x^2+y^2}{2} - ln(x^2+y^2)[/itex]

This just doesn't look right, I feel like I'm using the wrong method. Can someone clear this up for me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Locoism said:
I'm taking my first ODE course, and I'm unsure what is meant in this question when it asks "Solve the following differential equation" (I have a list of DEs to solve). Some of them are really messy and I can't figure out an implicit solution. Would an explicit solution be acceptable?

Example:

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{x}{x^2y+y^3}[/itex]

Since this isn't an exact equation, I transform it and find the integrating factor

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}(x^2y+y^3) - x = 0 [/itex]

and setting the partials [itex]\frac{∂}{∂x}N(x,y)μ(x) = \frac{∂}{∂y}M(x,y)μ(x) [/itex]

I get [itex]μ(x) = \frac{1}{x^2+y^2}[/itex]

I thought the integrating factor was supposed to be only a function of x, I may have made a mistake there.

Then I take [itex] \frac{∂}{∂y}\int M(x,y)μ(x) dx [/itex]

and I find [itex]f(x,y)=C=\frac{x^2+y^2}{2} - ln(x^2+y^2)[/itex]

This just doesn't look right, I feel like I'm using the wrong method. Can someone clear this up for me please?

First convert it to:

[tex]Mdx+Ndy=0[/tex]

You can do that. I get:

[tex]xdx-(x^2 y+y^3)dy=0[/tex]

Now compute:

[tex]\mu=\frac{1}{M}\left(\frac{\partial M}{\partial y}-\frac{\partial N}{\partial x}\right)[/tex]

I get [itex]\mu=2y[/itex] but I did that quick so double-check it. Therefore, the integrating factor is:

[tex]e^{-\int \mu dy}[/tex]

Now apply that integrating factor to the DE and solve it as an exact DE. And to "solve" a DE is to find a function y(x) for example, which when substituted into the DE, satisfies the expression.

Yes that's right, but I was under the impression the integrating factor would be a function of x, seeing as when we assume ∂μ/∂y = 0, this would be false if μ = 2y, and consequently fail to make the equation exact. So can the integrating factor be a function of y, or even both x and y?

Locoism said:
Yes that's right, but I was under the impression the integrating factor would be a function of x, seeing as when we assume ∂μ/∂y = 0, this would be false if μ = 2y, and consequently fail to make the equation exact. So can the integrating factor be a function of y, or even both x and y?

Yes, integrating factor can be a function of x and y for example:

[tex]y(x^3-y) dx-x(x^3+y)dy=0[/tex]

the integrating factor is [itex]\frac{1}{yx^2}[/itex]

Find "Differential Equations" by Rainville and Bedient. Good book I think.

Generally speaking, "implicit" solutions cannot be written as explicit functions of x. Whether your instructor will accept such solutions even when, by trying a little harder, you could have found an explicit function, you will have to ask your instructor!

Related to Solutions to Differential equations

What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model various physical, chemical, and biological processes in the form of rates of change.

What are the different types of solutions to differential equations?

The two main types of solutions to differential equations are explicit solutions, where the dependent variable is expressed explicitly in terms of the independent variable, and implicit solutions, where the dependent variable is not expressed explicitly in terms of the independent variable.

How do you solve differential equations?

There are several methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and power series. The appropriate method depends on the type and complexity of the differential equation.

What is the importance of solving differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model and understand a wide range of natural phenomena, making them essential in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Solving differential equations allows us to make predictions and gain insights into these systems.

What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have many practical applications, such as predicting population growth, modeling the spread of diseases, analyzing the stock market, and understanding the behavior of electrical circuits. They are also used in engineering to design and optimize systems, such as airplane wings and car engines.