Solutions To The Spherical Wave Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the electric part of the spherical wave equations, which is represented by the equation E(r, t) = (A/r)exp{i(k.r-ωt). The speaker asks what happens when t=0 and the waves originate at the origin (r=0), expressing concern about dividing by zero. The other person suggests considering the limit towards zero of r and taking t=0, which would result in the exponential approaching 1 and the same problem of A/r arising. However, they are unable to provide a solution due to PF rules.
RESolo
If the solution to the electric part of the spherical wave equations is:

E(r, t) = ( A/r)exp{i(k.r-ωt)

What happens when t=0 and the waves originates at the origin, i.e. r=0 ... which I assume can't be right as you of course cannot divide by zero.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: what happens if you take the limit towards zero of r and take t=0?

Te exponential approaches 1 and you have A/r, the same problem? Can you just tell me I'm running out of time here!

RESolo said:
Can you just tell me I'm running out of time here!

I can't PF rules won't let me.

1. What is the Spherical Wave Equation?

The Spherical Wave Equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a wave propagating outward in all directions from a point source.

2. What are the key features of the Spherical Wave Equation?

Some key features of the Spherical Wave Equation include its ability to describe waves in three-dimensional space, its dependence on the distance from the source, and its solution in terms of spherical harmonics.

3. What are the applications of the Spherical Wave Equation?

The Spherical Wave Equation has a wide range of applications in fields such as acoustics, electromagnetics, and quantum mechanics. It is commonly used to model sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and the behavior of particles in three-dimensional space.

4. What are the solutions to the Spherical Wave Equation?

The solutions to the Spherical Wave Equation depend on the boundary conditions and the type of source. For a point source, the solutions are spherical waves that decrease in amplitude as the distance from the source increases. For a distributed source, the solutions can be more complex and involve a combination of spherical waves.

5. How is the Spherical Wave Equation solved?

The Spherical Wave Equation is typically solved using separation of variables, which involves breaking down the equation into simpler parts and solving them separately. This method often requires the use of special functions, such as spherical Bessel functions and Legendre polynomials. Computer simulations and numerical methods can also be used to solve the equation for more complex scenarios.