How to Derive the Solvability Condition for a Biological Matrix?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Condition
In summary, in this conversation, the speaker discusses a matrix $A_\lambda$ and its solvability condition, which requires the matrix to be singular. The speaker also presents a determinant that must equal zero for the matrix to be singular. They then mention a polynomial associated with the solvability condition, and provide equations for the coefficients of the polynomial. There is some confusion about the value of $i$ in the equations. The speaker also notes a typo in the original question and a technical issue with marking threads as solved.
Dustinsfl
$$
A_{\lambda}=
\begin{pmatrix}
-\mu\lambda k^2 - k^2 - s & i\tau k & i\tau k - i\beta k^3\\
i\lambda k & \lambda + Dk^2 & -\alpha k^2\\
i\lambda k & 0 & \lambda
\end{pmatrix}
$$

where $\lambda = \lambda(k^2)$ (this is confusing) is the growth rate and k is the wave number, and tau, mu, D, alpha, s, and beta are biological parameters. The solvability condition for a matrix $A_{\lambda}$ requires that the matrix is singular.

So the I found the determinant to be $-Dk^4\lambda -Dik^2\lambda -Dk^2s\lambda +Di^2k^6\beta\lambda -k^2\lambda^2-ik^2\lambda^2-s\lambda^2+i^2k^4\beta\lambda^2-Dk^4\lambda^2\mu-k^2\lambda^3\mu-Di^2k^3\lambda\tau-i^2k^4\alpha\lambda\tau-i^2k\lambda^2\tau-i^2k^2\lambda^2\tau=0$
for it to be singular.

Then it says show that the polynomial associated with the solvability condition is given by
$$
a(k^2)\lambda^2 + b(k^2)\lambda +c(k^2) =0
$$
where
\begin{align}
a(k^2)=& \mu k^2\\
b(k^2)=& (\beta+\mu D)k^4 - (2\tau-1)k^2 s\\
c(k^2)=& \beta Dk^6-\{(\alpha+D)\tau-D\}k^4+sDk^2
\end{align}

From what I have, I can obtain that. I am not sure if i is the imaginary constant or just some constant i.
Even if i is the imaginary constant, we would still have some i's.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
$$
A_{\lambda}=
\begin{pmatrix}
-\mu\lambda k^2 - k^2 - s & i\tau k & i\tau k - i\beta k^3\\
i\lambda k & \lambda + Dk^2 & -\alpha k^2\\
i\lambda k & 0 & \lambda
\end{pmatrix}
$$

where $\lambda = \lambda(k^2)$ (this is confusing because that is just 1 = k^2) is the growth rate and k is the wave number, and tau, mu, D, alpha, s, and beta are biological parameters. The solvability condition for a matrix $A_{\lambda}$ requires that the matrix is singular.

So the I found the determinant to be
$-Dk^4\lambda -Dik^2\lambda -Dk^2s\lambda +Di^2k^6\beta\lambda -k^2\lambda^2$
$-ik^2\lambda^2-s\lambda^2+i^2k^4\beta\lambda^2-Dk^4\lambda^2\mu-k^2\lambda^3\mu-Di^2k^3\lambda\tau-i^2k^4\alpha\lambda\tau-i^2k\lambda^2\tau-i^2k^2\lambda^2\tau=0$
for it to be singular.

Then it says show that the polynomial associated with the solvability condition is given by
$$
a(k^2)\lambda^2 + b(k^2)\lambda +c(k^2) =0
$$
where
\begin{align}
a(k^2)=& \mu k^2\\
b(k^2)=& (\beta+\mu D)k^4 - (2\tau-1)k^2 s\\
c(k^2)=& \beta Dk^6-\{(\alpha+D)\tau-D\}k^4+sDk^2
\end{align}

From what I have, I can't obtain that. I am not sure if i is the imaginary constant or just some constant i.
Even if i is the imaginary constant, we would still have some i's left after simplifying.

Typo in the original question. Also, fixed the equation from going of the screen.

Last edited:
​Solved

dwsmith said:
​Solved

Do you have the ability to mark threads as solved now, under Thread Tools? It should be there...

Ackbach said:
Do you have the ability to mark threads as solved now, under Thread Tools? It should be there...

I don't see it as an option.

dwsmith said:
I don't see it as an option.

Oh, silly me. I already marked your thread as Solved. Do you have the "Mark this thread as unsolved" option in your Thread Tools?

Ackbach said:
Oh, silly me. I already marked your thread as Solved. Do you have the "Mark this thread as unsolved" option in your Thread Tools?

It doesn't appear for any threads I have. Even if it is marked solved, when the option is there, it then says to mark as unsolved--which is nonexistence to me.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/89

Last edited:

What is the Solvability Condition?

The Solvability Condition is a mathematical concept used to determine whether a system of equations or inequalities has a solution. It is used to determine whether a given problem can be solved, and if so, how many solutions it has.

How is the Solvability Condition calculated?

The Solvability Condition is typically calculated by analyzing the coefficients and variables of the equations or inequalities in a system. It may involve techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphing to determine if a solution exists.

Why is the Solvability Condition important?

The Solvability Condition is important because it allows us to determine whether a problem can be solved or not, and if it can be solved, it helps us understand the nature of the solutions. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics.

What happens if the Solvability Condition is not met?

If the Solvability Condition is not met, it means that the system of equations or inequalities does not have a solution. This could be due to a number of factors, such as the equations being inconsistent or the number of equations being greater than the number of variables.

Can the Solvability Condition be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, the Solvability Condition can be applied to real-world problems that involve systems of equations or inequalities. It is commonly used in fields such as economics, where it can help determine the feasibility of a proposed solution or model.