How to Solve the Central Force Equation with a Cubic Potential?

• Thread starter omni-impotent
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a central force problem with a k*x^3 potential and a resulting equation of A-Bx^3-\frac{C}{x^2}=0. The possibility of finding a solution using the symbolic toolbox in MATLAB is discussed, but it is noted that there is no general formula for fifth degree equations and some may have solutions that cannot be written as radicals. The conversation also touches on the physical implications of the problem and the possibility of solving it with a given constraint. Finally, the conversation ends with a discussion of the five solutions to the equation, one of which is real and the rest involving imaginary factors.
omni-impotent
Hi all,

I'm dealing with a central force problem (V(x) = k*x^3 potential) and I am stuck solving for x in the equation:
[tex]
A-Bx^3-\frac{C}{x^2}=0
[/tex]

Tried to do it using the symbolic toolbox in MATLAB but I get a "can't find closed form solution" error message. Anyone know the solution to the problem or how to obtain one?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Multiply through by x2 and you have Ax2- Bx5- C= 0 or Bx5- Ax2+ C= 0. For some A, B, C, you might be able to find a solution but there is no general formula for fifth degree equations- some have solutions that cannot be written as radicals. How did you get that equation?

Last edited by a moderator:
The equation arises when I try to find r_min & r_max of a particle's trajectory in a V(r) = k*r^3 central force potential. The full equation of motion is described in this post: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=221342 :)

You bring up a very good point that solutions exists only for certain values of A,B, & C because these parameters relate to the energy, strength of the potential, angular momentum and mass of the particle. It is easy to see that if the particle has too large an angular momentum or the energy is too high then it is not bound by this potential. Therefore, physically r_min & r_max do not exist.

Is it possible to solve the equation with a given constraint? My math skills are pathetic at best so is it possible to get mathematica or MATLAB to do it? :)

Btw, what do you mean by "some have solutions that cannot be written as radicals"?

omni-impotent said:
Btw, what do you mean by "some have solutions that cannot be written as radicals"?

A radical is the root of a number (square root, cube root, etc.). In general, polynomials of degree five or higher do not have solutions that can be written down in terms of roots, so except in special cases you have very little hope of writing down the solutions symbolically (at least in terms of familiar numbers or radicals - maybe in terms of some special functions, but that's not really going to be much better).

I think his teaching must have just done a bong and gave them all the question for a laugh which they could not answer...

Being handed unsolvable problems by your supervisor is all part of the fun of research. :) But anyway, everything can be solved numerically ;)

There are 5 solutions. 4 of which are imaginary. The real one is:
x -> -(B^(-1/5)) * (-A^2+C)^(1/5)

The rest involve factors of imaginary "i" to the n/5th.

K.J.Healey said:
There are 5 solutions. 4 of which are imaginary. The real one is:
x -> -(B^(-1/5)) * (-A^2+C)^(1/5)

The rest involve factors of imaginary "i" to the n/5th.

If A= 2, B= 1, C= 5, that gives x= (1-1/5(-4+5))1/4= 1
which does NOT satisfy 2- x3- 5/x2= 0.

1. What is the meaning of the variables in the equation A-B*x^3-C/r^2 = 0?

The A, B, and C variables represent coefficients of the terms in the equation, while x and r are variables. A coefficient is a number that multiplies a variable in an equation, and the variables represent unknown quantities that we are trying to solve for.

2. What is the purpose of solving equations like A-B*x^3-C/r^2 = 0 in science?

Solving equations is a fundamental part of the scientific method, as it allows us to find the relationships between different variables and make predictions about the natural world. In this specific equation, we may be trying to find the value of x or r that satisfies the equation and represents a physical phenomenon in our experiment or observation.

3. What methods can be used to solve an equation like A-B*x^3-C/r^2 = 0?

There are various methods for solving equations, such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, graphing, and using numerical methods like Newton's method or the bisection method. The most appropriate method will depend on the complexity of the equation and the available data.

4. Can the equation A-B*x^3-C/r^2 = 0 have multiple solutions?

Yes, it is possible for an equation to have multiple solutions. In this case, there may be multiple values of x and r that satisfy the equation. This could be due to the presence of multiple variables and the complexity of the equation.

5. How can I check if my solution for A-B*x^3-C/r^2 = 0 is correct?

To check the validity of a solution, you can plug the values of x and r into the equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph the equation and see if the solution falls on the curve. Additionally, you can use other methods like substitution or algebraic manipulation to verify the solution.