Solve a Triangle using Trigonometry

In summary: Keep up the good work!In summary, the conversation discusses using the Law of Sines to find the angle DCB, represented by x, in a triangle. The person asking for help has written down a system of equations and is getting a different solution than the one given in the book. After some back and forth, it is discovered that the person made a mistake in their calculation and the correct solution is indeed pi/5 or 36 degrees. It is also advised to stick to one angle measure throughout the problem and to justify why the other possible solution, 108 degrees, is not valid. The conversation ends with encouragement to continue working on the problem.
okh
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right by guessing Law of sines. Why don't you show what work you've done till now and where exactly you're stuck?

okh said:
I've written this system of equations:
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9355/imagenxvc.jpg

But I get
3cos^2x+sin^2x-2cosx=0 and the solution of the poblem that the book gives me is ∏/5.

The first three equations you've written down are correct. The answer is indeed pi/5. Check your calculation again. If you still don't find your mistake, write down your step by step solution, and i'll tell you where you're going wrong.

praharmitra said:
The first three equations you've written down are correct. The answer is indeed pi/5. Check your calculation again. If you still don't find your mistake, write down your step by step solution, and i'll tell you where you're going wrong.
I've found my mistake, now I get 3cos^2x-sin^2x-2cosx=0 and the solution is pi/5.
Thank you very much for helping!

A word of advice, though. It's never a good idea to mix two different angle measures. Since you started in degrees, you should finish in the same. So the answer is x = 36 degrees.

I agree, with Curious3141. You might also want to justify why you rejected the other value of x, which is 108 degrees.

I see 2 reasons:
1. Since x is an acute angle from the figure, x cannot be 108 degrees.
2. If you evaluate the angle CAD, using x=108 degrees, you'll get a negative value, which is not possible.

I hope that helped you a little bit.

1. What is a triangle?

A triangle is a geometric shape that is formed by three sides and three angles. It is one of the most basic shapes in geometry and is often used in various mathematical and scientific calculations.

2. How do you solve a triangle using trigonometry?

To solve a triangle using trigonometry, you need to know at least three of its sides or angles. Then, you can use the trigonometric functions - sine, cosine, and tangent - to find the missing sides or angles. These functions relate the ratios of the sides of a triangle to its angles.

3. What is the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is a fundamental theorem in mathematics that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. It is often used in solving triangles using trigonometry.

4. Can you solve any triangle using trigonometry?

No, to solve a triangle using trigonometry, you need to know at least three of its sides or angles. If you do not have enough information, it is not possible to solve the triangle using trigonometry.

5. Are there any other methods to solve a triangle?

Yes, there are other methods to solve a triangle, such as using the Law of Sines or the Law of Cosines. These methods can be used in cases where you do not have enough information to use trigonometry or if the triangle is not a right triangle.