Solve Algebra Question Easily: 34

• MHB
  • Thread starter Ilikebugs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the best way to approach solving an algebra question is to carefully read the question and identify the given variables and what the question is asking for. Then, apply algebraic principles such as the order of operations and solving for a variable to solve the equation step by step. To determine which principles to apply, it is important to understand basic algebraic principles and identify the type of problem. To check your answer, you can substitute it back into the original equation or use a graphing calculator. If you get stuck, review basic principles or seek help. While there are no shortcuts, practicing and understanding principles can improve speed and accuracy. Tools such as a graphing calculator can also aid in solving equations.
Ilikebugs
View attachment 6159I know that I can use guess and check, but I was wondering if there was an easier way? I got 34

Attachments

• POTW 8.png
    POTW 8.png
    11 KB · Views: 47
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ilikebugs said:
I know that I can use guess and check, but I was wondering if there was an easier way? I got 34

Hey Ilikebugs! Nice problem! ;)

I'll put my solution in spoiler tags for other people who may like the problem as well.
First the observation: $P\ne 0$ and $Q \ne 0$, because otherwise we divide by zero.
Note that we can always multiply or divide both sides by a non-zero value, but if the value can be zero, we have to check.

Then it follows that:

\(\displaystyle
\frac PQ - \frac QP = \frac{P+Q}{PQ}
\quad\Rightarrow\quad \frac{P^2-Q^2}{PQ} = \frac{P+Q}{PQ}
\quad\Rightarrow\quad (P+Q)(P-Q)=P+Q \\
\quad\Rightarrow\quad P+Q=0 \quad\textit{ or }\quad P-Q=1
\quad\Rightarrow\quad Q=-P \quad\textit{ or }\quad Q=P-1
\)

Considering that neither P nor Q can be zero, the first condition gives us 18 solutions, and the second 16 solutions, for a total of 34.

Related to Solve Algebra Question Easily: 34

1. What is the best way to approach solving an algebra question?

The best way to approach solving an algebra question is to first read the question carefully and identify what variables are given and what the question is asking for. Then, use algebraic principles such as the order of operations and solving for a variable to solve the equation step by step.

2. How do I know which algebraic principles to apply to a question?

To determine which algebraic principles to apply to a question, it is important to first understand the basic principles of algebra, such as the distributive property, combining like terms, and solving equations. Then, carefully read the question and identify what type of problem it is (e.g. simplifying, solving for a variable, etc.) to determine which principles will be most useful.

3. How can I check my answer to an algebra question?

To check your answer to an algebra question, you can substitute your solution back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator or online tool to graph the equation and see if the solution lies on the graph.

4. What should I do if I get stuck on an algebra question?

If you get stuck on an algebra question, it can be helpful to take a step back and review the basic principles of algebra. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps or seek help from a teacher or tutor.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving algebra questions quickly?

While there are no shortcuts or tricks for solving algebra questions, practicing regularly and understanding the basic principles of algebra can help improve your speed and accuracy in solving equations. You can also use tools such as a graphing calculator or online equation solver to check your work or provide additional guidance.