1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve bernoulli differential equation with extra constant

1. Nov 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a solution for:
    [tex]u'(t)=c*u(t)^2-c*(a+b)*u(t)+c*a*b[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've found the solution for the homogeneous equation:
    [tex]u_0(t)=(\frac{1}{a+b}+d*e^{c(a+b)t)})^{-1}[/tex]
    Where c is a random constant.

Now I've tried the solution [tex]u(t)=x(t)*u_0(t)[/tex], when I fill this in it gets a mess and i can't figure out what x(t) should be.
    Can someone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This isn't a linear equation, so I'm not sure what you consider the "homogeneous" equation. If you write it as$$
    u'+ c(a+b)u =cu^2+cab$$at least the left side of the equation is linear. That means if you can find a solution ##u_1## of ##u'+ c(a+b)u =cu^2## and a solution ##u_2## of ##u'+ c(a+b)u =cab## then ##u_1+u_2## should be a solution of your original DE.

4. Nov 16, 2012 #3
    With homogeneous I just ment the differential equation without the constant part.

But your approach won't work because [tex]u'(t)=u_1'(t)+u_2'(t)=-c(a+b)u_1(t)+cu_1^2(t)-c(a+b)u_2(t)+cab=-c(a+b)u(t)+cu_1^2(t)+cab[/tex]

Or am I seeing it wrong?

5. Nov 16, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would forget Bernoulli's equation and just try separation of variables. The right side factors. Just use partial fractions to integrate it.

6. Nov 16, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. You can't combine them that way. Just separate.

7. Nov 16, 2012 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are seeing it wrong. If you let$$
    L(u) = u' + c(a+b)u$$be the left side linear part then ##L## is a linear operator, which means ##L(u_1+u_2) = L(u_1)+L(u_2)##. So if ##L(u_1) = cu_1^2## and ##L(u_2)=abc##, what do you get for ##L(u_1+u_2)## ?

8. Nov 16, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But you want to get ##L(u_1+u_2) = c(u_1+u_2)^2+abc##. You don't get that.

9. Nov 16, 2012 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No wonder I was feeling a little uncertainty about my argument. :blushing: And it seemed so neat at the time...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook