Solve bernoulli differential equation with extra constant

In summary: So I'll just have to forget everything I said about ##u_1## and ##u_2##. :tongue:So now I'm looking for a solution of $$u'+ c(a+b)u =cu^2+cab$$and you can use separation of variables to find it.
Berrius

Homework Statement

Find a solution for:
[tex]u'(t)=c*u(t)^2-c*(a+b)*u(t)+c*a*b[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the solution for the homogeneous equation:
[tex]u_0(t)=(\frac{1}{a+b}+d*e^{c(a+b)t)})^{-1}[/tex]
Where c is a random constant.

Now I've tried the solution [tex]u(t)=x(t)*u_0(t)[/tex], when I fill this in it gets a mess and i can't figure out what x(t) should be.
Can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Berrius said:

Homework Statement

Find a solution for:
[tex]u'(t)=c*u(t)^2-c*(a+b)*u(t)+c*a*b[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the solution for the homogeneous equation:
[tex]u_0(t)=(\frac{1}{a+b}+d*e^{c(a+b)t)})^{-1}[/tex]
Where c is a random constant.

Now I've tried the solution [tex]u(t)=x(t)*u_0(t)[/tex], when I fill this in it gets a mess and i can't figure out what x(t) should be.
Can someone help me?

This isn't a linear equation, so I'm not sure what you consider the "homogeneous" equation. If you write it as$$
u'+ c(a+b)u =cu^2+cab$$at least the left side of the equation is linear. That means if you can find a solution ##u_1## of ##u'+ c(a+b)u =cu^2## and a solution ##u_2## of ##u'+ c(a+b)u =cab## then ##u_1+u_2## should be a solution of your original DE.

With homogeneous I just ment the differential equation without the constant part.

But your approach won't work because [tex]u'(t)=u_1'(t)+u_2'(t)=-c(a+b)u_1(t)+cu_1^2(t)-c(a+b)u_2(t)+cab=-c(a+b)u(t)+cu_1^2(t)+cab[/tex]

Or am I seeing it wrong?

I would forget Bernoulli's equation and just try separation of variables. The right side factors. Just use partial fractions to integrate it.

Berrius said:
With homogeneous I just ment the differential equation without the constant part.

But your approach won't work because [tex]u'(t)=u_1'(t)+u_2'(t)=-c(a+b)u_1(t)+cu_1^2(t)-c(a+b)u_2(t)+cab=-c(a+b)u(t)+cu_1^2(t)+cab[/tex]

Or am I seeing it wrong?

Right. You can't combine them that way. Just separate.

Berrius said:

Or am I seeing it wrong?

You are seeing it wrong. If you let$$
L(u) = u' + c(a+b)u$$be the left side linear part then ##L## is a linear operator, which means ##L(u_1+u_2) = L(u_1)+L(u_2)##. So if ##L(u_1) = cu_1^2## and ##L(u_2)=abc##, what do you get for ##L(u_1+u_2)## ?

LCKurtz said:
You are seeing it wrong. If you let$$
L(u) = u' + c(a+b)u$$be the left side linear part then ##L## is a linear operator, which means ##L(u_1+u_2) = L(u_1)+L(u_2)##. So if ##L(u_1) = cu_1^2## and ##L(u_2)=abc##, what do you get for ##L(u_1+u_2)## ?

But you want to get ##L(u_1+u_2) = c(u_1+u_2)^2+abc##. You don't get that.

Dick said:
But you want to get ##L(u_1+u_2) = c(u_1+u_2)^2+abc##. You don't get that.

No wonder I was feeling a little uncertainty about my argument. :blushing: And it seemed so neat at the time...

1. What is a Bernoulli differential equation?

A Bernoulli differential equation is a type of first-order differential equation that can be written in the form y' + p(x)y = q(x)y^n, where n is any real number except 0 and 1. It is named after the Swiss mathematician, Jacob Bernoulli, who first studied these equations.

2. How do you solve a Bernoulli differential equation?

To solve a Bernoulli differential equation, you can use the substitution method. You first divide both sides of the equation by y^n to get it in the form y' + p(x)y^(1-n) = q(x). Then, you substitute u = y^(1-n) to turn the equation into a linear differential equation. After solving for u, you can then substitute back y^(1-n) for u and solve for y.

3. What is the purpose of the extra constant in a Bernoulli differential equation?

The extra constant, often denoted as C, is a constant that appears in the solution of a Bernoulli differential equation. It is added to account for the fact that there are infinitely many solutions to these types of equations. The value of C can be determined by using initial conditions or boundary conditions.

4. Can a Bernoulli differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a Bernoulli differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is due to the presence of the extra constant, which allows for a family of solutions. The specific solution can be determined by using initial conditions or boundary conditions.

5. What are some real-world applications of Bernoulli differential equations?

Bernoulli differential equations have many applications in physics and engineering, such as modeling population growth, chemical reactions, and fluid dynamics. They can also be used to analyze electrical circuits, radioactive decay, and epidemiological models.