Solve Chain Rule Problem: Finding dy/dx for y=2t+3 and x=t^2-t

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving for the derivative of a given function using the chain rule. The participants also briefly mention the rule for the derivative of the inverse function and clarify the correct calculation for dt/dx. The conversation concludes with a confirmation that the same process applies to all instances of finding derivatives.
Checkfate
I need help solving this problem. It is in my textbook but no answer is provided in the appendix.

If [tex]y=2t+3[/tex] and [tex]x=t^{2}-t[/tex], find [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

In theory this should be fairly straight forward! Simply find [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{dt}{dx}[/tex] and multiply both derivatives together to find [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] , but I am having some problems.

I tried solving [tex]x=t^{2}-t[/tex] for t, but that gets ugly pretty fast. I am out of ideas, can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks again in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember the rule for the derivative of the inverse function..

Sorry

I am sorry but I have never heard of that rule. I just looked through my textbook and I cannot find any mention of it :( This is for grade 12 calculus. could you just elaborate a little bit? sorry and thanks!

dy/dt =2

dx/dt=2t-1

dt/dx= 1/2t-1

dy/dx=2/(2t-1)

ahhhh that all makes perfect sense now! But wouldn't dt/dx = -1/2t-1... :)

Parentheses! Since x= t2- t dx/dt= 2t- 1 and so dt/dx= 1/(2t-1). I see no reason for a negative sign there.

Yea I realized that a mintute after I said it.. No need for a perpendicular derivative! lol, don't know what I was thinking, but anyways I understand 100% now. Thanks! Just to make this clear, does this apply to alll instances where you have [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] and want to find [tex]\frac{dx}{dy}[/tex] or vice versa? Thanks. I would imagine it would but I just want to make sure.

Related to Solve Chain Rule Problem: Finding dy/dx for y=2t+3 and x=t^2-t

What is the chain rule and why is it important in solving this problem?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a composite function, where the independent variable is a function of another independent variable. In this problem, the chain rule is important because the function y=2t+3 is a composite function, where t is a function of x.

How do I apply the chain rule to find dy/dx for y=2t+3 and x=t^2-t?

To apply the chain rule, you can think of the function y=2t+3 as f(g(t)) where f(t)=2t+3 and g(t)=t^2-t. Then, using the chain rule formula (dy/dx=dy/dg * dg/dx), you can find dy/dx by first finding dy/dg and then dg/dx, and finally multiplying them together.

Can I solve this problem without using the chain rule?

No, the chain rule is necessary to solve this problem because the function y=2t+3 is not directly in terms of x, but is a composite function with t as the independent variable.

What are the steps to solve this problem using the chain rule?

The steps to solve this problem using the chain rule are: 1. Identify the function f(t) and g(t). 2. Find df/dt and dg/dt. 3. Substitute the values of df/dt and dg/dt into the chain rule formula (dy/dx=dy/dg * dg/dx). 4. Simplify the resulting expression to find dy/dx.

Can the chain rule be applied to any composite function?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to any composite function, where the independent variable is a function of another independent variable. It is a fundamental rule of calculus and is used to find the derivatives of many types of functions, such as exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions.