Solve Chain Rule Problem: Finding dy/dx for y=2t+3 and x=t^2-t

  • Thread starter Thread starter Checkfate
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chain Chain rule
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Checkfate
Messages
149
Reaction score
0
I need help solving this problem. It is in my textbook but no answer is provided in the appendix.

If [tex]y=2t+3[/tex] and [tex]x=t^{2}-t[/tex], find [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

In theory this should be fairly straight forward! Simply find [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{dt}{dx}[/tex] and multiply both derivatives together to find [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] , but I am having some problems.

I tried solving [tex]x=t^{2}-t[/tex] for t, but that gets ugly pretty fast. I am out of ideas, can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks again in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember the rule for the derivative of the inverse function..
 
Sorry

I am sorry but I have never heard of that rule. I just looked through my textbook and I cannot find any mention of it :( This is for grade 12 calculus. could you just elaborate a little bit? sorry and thanks!
 
dy/dt =2

dx/dt=2t-1

dt/dx= 1/2t-1

dy/dx=2/(2t-1)
 
ahhhh that all makes perfect sense now! But wouldn't dt/dx = -1/2t-1... :)
 
Parentheses! Since x= t2- t dx/dt= 2t- 1 and so dt/dx= 1/(2t-1). I see no reason for a negative sign there.
 
Yea I realized that a mintute after I said it.. No need for a perpendicular derivative! lol, don't know what I was thinking, but anyways I understand 100% now. Thanks! Just to make this clear, does this apply to alll instances where you have [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] and want to find [tex]\frac{dx}{dy}[/tex] or vice versa? Thanks. I would imagine it would but I just want to make sure.