Solve Coupled Oscillator Problem from Goldstein's Classical Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from Goldstein's Classical Mechanics involving the use of displacement and matrix equations to find the frequencies of a system at equilibrium. The individual provides their approach and expresses uncertainty about the correctness of their solution.
physicsjock
Hey,

I've been trying to solve this question from Goldstein's Classical Mechanics.

The picture I have of the question is from a later edition and the hint was removed from the question, the hint was let
η33

η1=[itex]\frac{ζ_{1}+ζ_{5}}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]

η5=[itex]\frac{ζ_{1}-ζ_{5}}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]

What I have done is first let each particle be represented by a displacement x1...x5,

Then wrote out T = 1/2m([itex]x^{2}_{1}+x^{2}_{3}+x^{2}_{5}[/itex]) + 1/2M([itex]x^{2}_{2}+x^{2}_{4}[/itex])

and V = k/2 *( [itex] x_{i}-x_{j}-b[/itex] ) i = 2..5, j = 1..4 i≠j

so V = k/2 *( [itex]x_{2}-x_{1}-b[/itex] ) + k/2(...) up to i = 5 j = 4

then Since η = x - dx the system is at equilibrium when

b = dx2 - dx1 = dx3 - dx2 = ... up to i = 5 j = 4then V = 1/2k (η2 - η1) + ... up to i = 5 j = 4

Then I subbed in the hints it provided and also as one of the hints says treat the normal co-ords of 2 and 4 as symetric I let η22=-η4

Some stuff canceled and I ended up with

V = k/2 *( [itex]ζ^{2}_{1}+ζ^{2}_{2}+ζ^{2}_{5}-2\sqrt{2}ζ_{2}ζ_{5}[/itex] )

I turned it into a matrix which was (this is where I start stuffing up I think)

...1...0...0 (sorry had to use the ... to make the matrix look kind of like a matrix)
V = k/2...0...4...sqrt2
...0..-sqrt2..1

Then since there were only varibles of 1, 2 and 5 I turned T into

.....m 0 0
T = 1/2...0 M 0
.....0 0 m

Then did the usual thing for eigenvalues |V-ω2T|=0

One was pretty ugly, one was sqrt(k/m), and the last one I had trouble finding because it was a mess of a cubic.

I decided to put the question at the bottom so the add didn't squish it,

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/7747/asdasddh.jpg

Is what I did alright? The part I'm not confident about at all is when i turn V into a matrix, and the book they also drop the 1/2 for both V and T which I didn't really understand why.

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So one problem was that symetric meant n2=n4, so i did it again,
its a 5 variable quadratic form so its a 5x5 not a 3x3,
I got a block diagnal matrix with a 3x3 as the first and a 2x2 as the second, the 2x2 had determinant kmw^2, so that shows one of the frequencies is 0,

but yea I am still not sure if that's right,

Anyone have any ideas?

1. What is a coupled oscillator problem in classical mechanics?

A coupled oscillator problem in classical mechanics refers to a system of oscillators that are connected or coupled together in some way. This means that the motion of one oscillator affects the motion of the others, making it a more complex problem to solve compared to a single oscillator system.

2. How do you solve a coupled oscillator problem?

To solve a coupled oscillator problem, you can use the mathematical framework of Lagrangian mechanics, where the equations of motion can be derived using the principle of least action. This involves setting up the Lagrangian function, which takes into account the potential and kinetic energies of all the oscillators in the system. The equations of motion can then be solved using numerical methods or analytical techniques.

3. What is the significance of the coupled oscillator problem?

The coupled oscillator problem is significant because it is a common type of problem encountered in many physical systems, such as molecules, pendulums, and electronic circuits. By understanding and solving these problems, we can gain insights into the behavior of complex systems and predict their motion and interactions.

4. What are some examples of coupled oscillator systems?

Some examples of coupled oscillator systems include atoms in a molecule, coupled pendulums, and coupled electronic circuits. In these systems, the oscillators are connected through forces such as springs, electric fields, or chemical bonds, which result in coupled motion.

5. How does the solution to a coupled oscillator problem change with different initial conditions?

The solution to a coupled oscillator problem is highly dependent on the initial conditions, such as the initial positions and velocities of the oscillators. Small changes in these initial conditions can lead to significantly different solutions, making it important to carefully consider and specify the initial conditions when solving a coupled oscillator problem.